XVIII. HARRY VALACK

HARRY VALACK

HARRY VALACK

As soon as Stiles, Scott and Allison had gone limp in the ice baths Harper had felt an immense feeling of guilt cloud over her. It was unavoidable and she knew Lydia and Isaac were feeling it too. She detected calmness from Deaton, which was a little reassuring.

"Now what?" Isaac asked, running a hand through his mop of curls as he took a step backwards, away from Scott's still body.

It was strange how pale the usually tan boy looked. It scared Harper seeing him appear so lifeless.

"We wait," Deaton answered simply.

Harper's eyebrows furrowed together, "for how long?"

"That depends," Deaton replied, screwing the cap to one of his many jars and placing it on another jar, "but don't worry, Harper, they'll be fine."

The Empath just huffed and sat down on a chair, her back leaning against the wall. She had to look away from Stiles' body, unable to comprehend the fact that he was here but not really. Harper wondered what he was doing inside his mind right now, whether if somehow he was thinking about her.

Lydia noticed the distressed look on her friend and walked over, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Harper sighed, leaning her head against Lydia's body. Lydia just began to stroke her hair.

"They'll be fine," the strawberry blonde repeated Deaton's words.

Harper nodded, squeezing the lump down her throat. She guessed she should trust Lydia, since she was the newly announced Banshee, after all. Deaton mentioned something before leaving the room, but Harper was too focused on distracting herself by picking at her nails.

"Do... Do you think you can connect to them?" Isaac spoke up, gesturing towards the three unconscious teenagers.

Lydia glared at the taller boy, "she's not connecting to them. That's dangerous."

Harper shrugged, "I could probably sense what they're feeling, but not what they're seeing. But I don't want to interfere, in case something goes wrong."

Isaac nodded but remained silent. The only sounds that filled the animal clinic were their breathing and it was slowly driving Harper insane. She realised she hadn't slept in such a long time, not before the night of the recital that ended in Jennifer exposing herself as the Darach.

The need to leave the room was overpowering her want to stay with Stiles and she ended up abruptly standing up, running a hand through her hair.

"I need to get out of here," she admitted, "if anything happens please call me straight away. I'll be back soon, I just can't sit around and do nothing."

Both of the other teenagers nodded in understanding.

"Okay, I'll keep you updated," the strawberry blonde promised.