XLI. WHEN THE PARTY'S OVER

The baby blue jeep screeched as it pulled up outside Beacon Hills High

The baby blue jeep screeched as it pulled up outside Beacon Hills High. The pale moonlight cast down on the vehicle as five frantic teenagers clambered out and onto the pavement, looking across at the looming building they broke into far too often.

Stiles stumbled due to his increasing weakness, his arms quickly going out in front of him to stop himself from collapsing. He held onto the railings as Harper came up behind him, wrapping her arms around him once again.

He sent her an unconvincing yet appreciative smile as he looked down at her, silently adoring the way her nose scrunched up slightly in concern, her brown hair swiftly dancing in the wind behind her. Stiles knew he was going to die, and so he relished in the feeling of her fingertips on him, the way their eyes met, how he could hear her heavy breathing as they ran over to the doors.

He tried to take in every single thing she and Scott did for the next half minute or so, realising how much he was going to miss them- if you could even miss someone when you were in the afterlife. Stiles was so convinced he was going to die, but he dare not to tell his friends, knowing how they'd react.

"Scott, hold on," Stiles insisted as the tan boy placed his hands on the entrance door, "I know what you're all thinking. That if this works, it might kill me, too. But even if it does, you just have to go through with it. Stick with the plan, okay?"

Harper pursed her lips in disgust, wondering how such words could leave Stiles' lips. Surely he must know by now that she would never do anything to hurt him, yet alone kill him. Even if it was for the greater good, she wasn't sure she could go through with it.

"The plan is to save you," Scott responded sternly, "that's the plan I'm going with."

No other words were offered as Scott pushed the door open and walked inside confidently. However, his confidence quickly wore off when he realised they weren't in the familiar setting of the school corridor, but what appeared to be a snowy garden.

The five teenagers slowed down, coming to a halt as they looked around at the changed scenery in confusion. It reminded Harper of when she was in Stiles' mind, or as if she was in a dream where the patterns made no sense.

Snow covered everything in the garden they were in, all of the plants, the small wooden bridge, the grass they walked on. It crunched beneath their feet as they began to walk closer inside, ignoring the white flakes falling from the dark sky and tangling in their hair.

The door creaked from behind them as Harper shivered, regretting her choice of dress today. Lydia also remained beside her, rubbing her arms up and down in an attempt to warm up. Kira, Scott and Stiles had their jackets on, luckily for them.