XL. DIVINELY INSPIRED

It had been three whole hours since Allison Argent had died and despite that amount of time not sounding like much, it had felt like an eternity to Harper and the rest of her friends. Chris Argent had arrived at the scene only seconds after Allison's final breath, obviously devastated to find his daughter lifeless in Scott's arms but jumping into action straight away.

Already, he, Scott, Lydia and Isaac were down at the Sheriff's station, telling them the story that had made up to explain the hole through Allison's stomach. Harper had heard parts of it while her face was buried in Stiles' chest- something about her and Scott being in the car and some guys jumping out and pulling knives on them.

While Stiles was too weak to go with them, Harper didn't think she could physically sit there and listen to her friends lie about Allison's death. The hunter's words from a few days ago repeated over and over in Harper's head, like a bad nightmare. Harper remembered how Allison had told her that she was still trying to be a good person, how she intended to carry on being a good person.

She died doing just as she said, Harper recalled sadly, I'm sure she wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Kira had brought the couple back to her house, allowing them spaces on her couch- which by the way, was for some reason massive. Harper sat curled up in the corner, a blanket from Kira's room thrown over her. She had fallen asleep from the exhaustion of crying as soon as they arrived, but she had been awake for about ten minutes now, staring at the back of her boyfriend.

Stiles was sat hunched over at the edge of the couch, his elbows rested on his knees and his chin in his hands as he seemed to think over everything that had gone down in the past few hours. Everything had changed and nobody had expected it. Nobody had expected for them to lose someone, especially not Allison.

The Stilinski boy heard a sniffle from behind him and looked over his shoulder, finally noticing that his girlfriend was awake. He offered her a tiny smile, however, the purple circles around his dim eyes and the paleness of his skin gave away how he was really feeling. Stiles was getting weaker by the second.

"How are you feeling?" He croaked, his voice deep from the crying he had been doing earlier.

Harper shrugged, shuffling forwards to sit on the edge with him. She wrapped one arm around his waist and pulled herself closer, resting her head on his chest. Stiles seemed to relax from the contact, his head slowly moving to lean down on top of hers. His fingers traced comforting circles on the back of her pinafore dress.

"You should have felt Scott's emotions," the Empath muttered, "he was in love with her, Sti."

Stiles said nothing but squeezed her a little tighter. His eyes slowly closed and he let out a shuddered breath, feeling the guilt consume him. He honestly felt like Allison's death was on him, since he had been the one to let the Nogitsune inside and since he was too weak to even close the damn door in his mind in the first place.

Harper sensed his guilt and pulled away, shaking her head.

"It's not your fault," she insisted, "Scott knows that and I know that, everybody knows that. You had no control over what the Nogitsune did tonight, that was all on him. Not you. You would never do anything like that, Sti."

Stiles forced a nod, looking down as a tear escaped his eye and ran down his cheek. Harper pressed the pad of her thumb against his skin, gently wiping it away. She kissed where it had been, wrapping her arms around his neck as she hugged him tightly.