XXII. NOT A DREAM

Harper huffed as she trudged alongside Stiles through the dark woods. He kept close beside her, their bodies brushing against each other as he shone the flashlight in their path. It was freezing outside causing Harper to wrap the denim jacket around herself tighter.

"What do you think Scott will do when he finds the coyote?" Harper questioned, trying to stop her teeth from chattering.

Stiles' brows furrowed as he searched for clues around them, "he won't hurt it, Harps."

"I know, I know," Harper quickly replied, "Scott would never."

The couple continued to walk in a comfortable silence until Harper looked down at her feet and saw an electric blue mist pooling around them. She jumped in shock, trying to kick it away for a second until she realised what it was. Stiles turned around when he realised she had stopped.

"What is it?" He questioned, examining the space around Harper's feet where she was staring.

She looked back up at him, her mouth slightly agape, "there's a mist. It's either Scott's or the coyotes."

"Harry said you can only find people that you know, so it must be Scott," Stiles insisted eagerly.

Harper smirked a little, "I know a coyote, too-"

Stiles groaned, flipping his hands in the air, "you didn't fall asleep with a coyote on your lap! That's impossible, Harps."

"Nuh-huh!" She protested childishly, "it had the same colour eyes as that coyote too, electric blue. They were so abnormal it was unforgettable."

The brunet paused for a moment, deep in thought.

"Abnormal like... supernatural-abnormal?" He quizzed.

Harper's eyes widened, "do you think the coyote could be Malia?"

Stiles made an inhuman noise, "get your phone. Get the picture that you took of Malia when she was a kid."

Gasping, Harper fumbled for her phone in her back pocket and unlocked it. She frantically swiped to find the picture.

"Hurry," Stiles complained.

"It would be a lot quicker to find if you hadn't spammed my phone with pictures of your double chin on the way here," Harper sassed back, causing Stiles to jokingly put his hands up in surrender, "found it!"

Stiles peered over his girlfriend's shoulder as she pinched the screen to zoom in. In the younger girls hands was a doll- the exact same doll that they had found in the car wreck. Harper glanced up at her boyfriend who nodded at her.

"Malia's a... coyote?"

...

"Argh!"

Stiles and Harper screamed along with Scott as the three teenagers bumped into each other. Harper almost fell backwards, however Stiles stuck his arm out and saved her. She clung onto it as if he life depended on it, not letting go even when she was stood up straight.

"What are you two doing?" Scott yelled, still in a state of panic as he held his hand on his heart.

Stiles looked at him as if he were crazy, "the question is, what were you doing? You ran off and left us!"

"I was looking for the coyote," Scott panted, calming down, "and guys, I think I found something out."

"We did, too," Harper nodded, "Stiles and I think that the coyote is-"

"Malia," the True Alpha cut her off, "I realised when she started glowing her eyes at me and when I said her name... She ran off."

Stiles swallowed, "that means the mist is taking us to Malia."