February

The days were cold as they came and went. They all seemed to blend together, and before Nagisa even knew it, it was February 10th.

He was used to the up coming day to be like any other, except more cheesy with people confessing and giving chocolates.

But this year was different. Unlike last year where the closest thing to a Valentine's day was seeing Karma having so many chocolates. He had ended up giving them all to Nagisa, Karma hasn't wanted them unless it was from someone specific.

Now, technically, he had Akari. He doubted it would be very different.

What would they do anyway, they were already together. Not much left and he didn't see the reason to get all excited.

But Akari could. Of course she could. Akari was just that type of person.

"What kind of sweets do you prefer? Anything at all. Pudding, cookies, strawberry short cakes, Mochi- or so you prefer the traditional home made chocolate?"

Chocolate. He thought. But she likes pudding and she makes it all the time would be more convenient for her.

"Mmm, lemme think?" He said, a smile upon his face once he had come to a final decision. "Surprise me."

Akari was taken aback from his response. Really, she had thought (hoped) he'd say pudding.

"You sure? I might make something you don't like." She said. "I don't know much about your tastes in sweets."

"Well, I'm good with just anything, really. Just not blueberry or lime. I hate those." He stuck out his tongue in disgust.

Akari nodded, perfectly fine with his response. "Okay. Perfectly fine with me."

They smiled at each other. Even though this wasn't really needed and (at least Nagisa) would be okay without doing anything.

But this was fun. And made things fun for the time being before they had to go back to having boring and random conversations.

---

The day was here, and it was cold today. Super cold. The clouds covered the sky and made everything dark. Nagisa shuddered as he took off his scarf and went to Karma, who was looking around, stressfully.

"You seem to be tense." Nagisa leaned over his desk and used his hands to hold his head up.

"Well duh. Last year was a mess. It always is."

"Mmm... yeah, it was. And you never got anything from that one girl you liked in the end." He smiled sadly. "Let's hope for luck this time."

Karma rolled his eyes and looked over at her. Quietly reading a book as her classmates chatted around her.

"I'm pretty sure she doesn't even know whenever I'm looking..." Karma said quietly before turning back to Nagisa.

"Well duh, she's always doing something. Whether it's reading or scribbling something down, Okuda always keeps to herself."

They didn't say anything for awhile.

"Do you think I should say something to her?" Karma asked.

"You wanna kill her?"

"But just strike a simple conversation with her wouldn't surprise her that much..." he paused. "It would surprise the people in my social standing more."

Nagisa shrugged. "Okay, go for it."

Karma nodded and waited before finally getting up. He walked slowly towards her.

Karma tapped her shoulder and almost gave the poor girl a heart attack.

But after she got over the shock of him talking to her they seemed to hold up a nice conversation with each other.

Nagisa was peacefully watching from the sidelines. And that gave Akari the chance to sneak up on him.

She cupped her hands over his eyes and expected him to flinch. But he didn't react.

"It's useless to try and scare me, Akari. You're an easy person to notice."

Akari giggled and let go. "Well, it's fun to try to."

Nagisa smiled at her. "Of course."

They smiled at eachother for a minuye, just staying like that.

"The bell is about to ring soon, you should really go sit down." He said, breaking the silence between them.

Akari smiled, flustered. "Ah, right. Class."

They both laughed lightly as Akari went to her desk. Just in time, for the bell had rung.

---

The day went on and it was finally time to leave after cleaning.

Today the two didn't have Karma to talk to. So it was just the two. In the freezing cold.

Nagisa wondered, what Karma was doing. Nagisa knew what he was doing at least, and that was waiting with Akari.

"It sure is cold and bleak." Akari laughed. "And it's supposed to be Valentine's day. And on Valentine's day it should at least be sunny."

Nagisa smiled. "That would make more sense, but mother nature is weird."

"... oh right. I forgot about the sweets thing." Akari said.

"You just noticed?" Nagisa said.

"Well, I have it right here." She pulled out a little box. "You still want it."

Nagisa examined the box for a minute. "Of course."

Akari handed him the box. It was the traditional Valentine's color: red.

He sniffed it. As expected, it smelled sweet.

"Just open it already. You looking for signs of poining, or something?" She joked.

"No, but I'm not used to getting something from somebody and it not being a trick." He chuckled and opened it. "Habits."

He looked at it. A little confused. He had expected more.

It was just a big, chewy brick of chocolate. Nagisa took it out, he decided not to question it.

... But smelling it for tricks wouldn't be too bad.

"Are you sniffing it? Nagisa, just eat it."

Nagisa scoweled. "Don't pressure me."

Nagisa examined it one last time.

Here it goes. He thought and took a big bite from it.

His eyes widened as the flavor spread his mouth. With every chew he tried to figure out was going on.

Nagisa looked inside the brick of sheet choclate.

Inside was strawberry jam and whipped cream. Weird.

"That's something..." he said and looked over at Akari, a confused look.

Akari giggled. "You asked for a surprise, didn't you?"

Nagisa smiled. "Yeah. Guess so."