Trying Not To Love You (Soldier:76 x Reader)

That shot of whiskey could only do so much as he swirled the amber liquid in the tall glass he found to drink from. That was the only thing now to dull the ache in his chest.

You call to me, and I fall at your feet
How could anyone ask for more?
And our time apart, like knives in my heart.
How could anyone ask for more?

He had been gone from their side for almost 10 years and yet, he knew that they would not be with another after losing Jack. Unbeknown to most, Jack Morrison became the vigilante Soldier 76. He watched with a careful eye as the love of his life walk past and seemed more cautious than usual

But if there's a pill to help me forget,
God knows I haven't found it yet
But I'm dying to, God I'm trying to
'Cause trying not to love you, only goes so far
And trying not to need you, is tearing me apart
Can't see the silver lining, from down here on the floor
And I just keep on trying, but I don't know what for
'Cause trying not to love you
Only makes me love you more

He still remembers that first day together, the sun shining and all the joy in their eyes when he said that he loved them.

And this kind of pain, only time takes away
That's why it's harder to let you go (That's why it's harder to let you go)
And nothing I can do, without thinking of you
That's why it's harder to let you go (That's why it's harder to let you go)

It started with that damn laugh but then evolved into their smile infecting his mind like a parasite on his emotions. He can’t seem to forget them, regardless of how much he drinks or how much he works until he passes out from lack of adequate sleep. Hell, even the sleeping medication Angela gave him did not block the memories of past.

But if there's a pill to help me forget, God knows I haven't found it yet.
But I'm dying to, God I'm trying to.

He orders another drink and yet, nothing helped because even after the lose in training today, they ignore McCree and still did the same as always, sat by the statue of Morrison and talked to him like he was there. They smiled and greeted the statue, just talking away but something stopped them suddenly.

“Jack...I am here all the time 'Cause trying not to love you, only goes so far; trying not to need you, is tearing me apart. Can't see the silver lining, from down here on the floor. And I just keep on trying, but I don't know what for. 'Cause trying not to love you; Only makes me love you more...Jack, I am only going to love you more.”

So I sit here divided, just talking to myself. ‘Was it something that I did? Was there somebody else?’ When a voice from behind me, that was fighting back tears. Sat right down beside me, whispered right in my ear. Said, I've been dying to tell you.

“Soldier...Morrison?” a name he hasn’t heard in a long time coming from the lips of someone he thought would have forgotten a man like him but no, they just kept coming to him. He downed the whiskey yet the voice behind him would not fade away. Maybe the whiskey wasn’t going to drown them away this time. “Jack, please, I know you can hear me.”

“What do you want?” he growls as he downs the liquid as a means of getting some form of courage before facing them. Turning to face them,  he felt all resistance he had built up fade away just from the tears in their eyes. Every muscle in his body froze, he had to fight his own battle to hug them, to soothe their fears once more.

“Jack, please listen to me. It's just...I can’t keep hiding it anymore! That trying not to love you, only went so far; Trying not to need you, was tearing me apart. Now I see the silver lining, from what we're fighting for. We just keep on trying, we could be much more; 'Cause trying not to love you...Jack, it makes me want to stay by your side even more.

He could not believe his ears. After all this time, the lies and the secrets, the only person he could ever love was willing to forgive him for all these years of lying, of all the years of secrets he had yet, all he could do was stare at them. “How long have you known?” he asked as they offered a small broken smile.

“Since the day you saved me during the Numbani incident 5 months ago. Jack, I speak the truth though. I will always love you and only you.”

“Oh, yeah, trying not to love you...Only makes me love you more...I am sorry I lied to you.” he confesses with pink tinted cheeks as a sudden feeling kiss comes to him.

“I understand and forgive you besides, despite all of this...Only makes me love you more” a promise is whispered as two exchanged one more kiss, both hearts finally mending.