n i n e

You sighed, you couldn't believe you were able to get an appointment so short notice..and of course you'd have to miss your photography class. Warren didn't have any classes today so he was eager to be your ride. You sat against his car, waiting for him. You couldn't help but notice Nathan in the parking lot, talking to that girl you had a run in with a couple of times..the girl with short hair that was a bit rude;they were leaning against his truck deep in conversation. It was odd...he was supposed to be in class in just a few seconds. Was he..skipping? It was none of your business anyway, you thought to yourself.

"Hey! (Y/N)!" Warren smiled as he approached you, the sound of your name must have been loud because Nathan immediately looked in your direction. You quickly looked away before your eyes could meet.

"H..hey," you replied nervously, afraid Nathan would notice you were staring,

"What's up with the camera?" he referred to the camera around your neck

"Oh..I'm planning on taking pictures in the hospital..for my project."

"Oh wow, that sounds cool."

"So, are you ready?"

"Yes..are you?" he grab the keys from his pocket and unlocked the doors to his car, allowing you to both hop in.

"I guess..uh you know this could take hours..right?"

"Yeah..I did my research." he smiled as he cranked up the car

"Research?"

"Yeah..instead of bugging you I figured I'd find the answers to my questions on the Internet...all I ask is that you don't puke in my car when we leave seeing as the chemotherapy will make you nauseous."

you smile, somewhat surprised..he must've really cared to actually do research.
"I'll try my best not to." you quietly laugh

"Thanks." he drives out the parking lot and heads to the hospital.

After finally finding the part of the hospital you needed to be in, Warren walked up to the front desk with you. After checking in, you both had a seat in the waiting room, you were definitely nervous...you've done chemo many times before but for some reason this time..made you feel..different. Maybe because your parents weren't there, or maybe because you were in a whole different state, in a whole different hospital. You think Warren could tell because he grabbed your hand, holding it tightly with a reassuring smile on his face.
You smiled back, nervously.

"Don't worry..I'll be out here the whole time, and when we're done here we can do whatever you want. Even if it's just resting at your dorm."

"Thanks Warren..I," you sigh, unable to express the appreciation you had towards him, "This means a lot...to me. I'm glad you're here and I'm sorry I gave you such a hard time about it the other day." Your beliefs hadn't completely changed but you definitely  felt like such a jerk, no one wants to hear those things you said from a friend.

"Don't thank me. I'm glad I talked you into this."

Before you could reply your name was called and the doctors were ready for you. You handed him your camera for safe keeping until you were done, you planned to take pictures afterwards since you weren't really free to roam during your treatment. You let go of his hand and took a deep breath.

After hours you were finally given a check up to make sure you were okay to leave, of course you were given a bag for any puke you might not be able to keep down. You go back out to the waiting room and wave over Warren, he quickly stands and walks up to you.

"Is everything good..?" he hands you your camera

"Yea..I'm fine. Let's get some pictures.." you hand him the vomit bag, it's empty as of now so of course he takes it

"Feeling sick?"

"Yeah..but I'll be fine." you guys begin to walk around the hospital, you take respectable pictures that you think perfectly capture the feeling you're trying to betray. Lack of freedom, because being in hospitals for the past years made you feel not as free as you should've been. While other teens were going to parties and doing other cool things you spent most of your time in a hospital bed. You look over your pictures, a bit worried that they wouldn't convey the feeling correctly. Warren could tell that you were doubting yourself as he looked over your shoulder.

"I don't really know much about photography..but they're great shots." he smiles

"Thank you, Warren." you smile back

"Where to next?"  he asked as you guys finally were getting ready to leave

"I'm..not sure. I don't think eating is an option right now.." you hung your camera around your neck and retrieved the bag from Warren

"Yeah,you're right. I think you should just take it easy, we could just chill in your dorm."

"Yeah, we can binge watch something?"

"Of course, that'd be awesome." he pulls out his keys once you're both in the parking lot at his car, you guys hop in and he cranks up the car;heading back to Blackwell.

"Thanks again, for coming." You look out the window, watching the scenery fly past you

"No problem," he glances over at you, "So uh..do you think you'll go again..?"

"Yeah..I scheduled for another one already."

"Really?" you can hear his voice lighten up in what sounded excited

"Yeah.." you look at him

"That's..that's great, I'm glad. I'll be there with you again." he glances at you again,with a gentle smile this time

"Good, I was hoping you'd tag along." you smile back, he's so nice and sweet. You feel good, excluding the nausea. You feel..happy. You're glad you can call Warren your friend and you're glad he's talking you back into getting treatment. As much as you hate it you're starting to feel some shred of hope again..