t w e n t y s i x

You sat outside of Nathan's hospital room, a mess. You weren't aloud inside until his parents arrived...which they hadn't even though it had been 3 hours since an ambulance had came to get Nathan. Your phone buzzed...another text from Warren checking on you even though it was late. You had told him to go to his dorm to rest since he has morning classes but you could tell he was worried about you. 
Warren 🔬: Everything ok?

You: It's going on 4am. Please go to sleep.
You struggle to type with your shaky hands and the tears in your eyes 

Warren 🔬: I'm just worried. Are you gonna be fine?

You: yes. Sleep.

Warren 🔬: I will. Just checking one last time, if you need me don't hesitate.

You left it at that and put your phone back in your pocket. Putting your head in your hands as you felt like you'd break again.
"Excuse me, who are you?"
a voice boomed in front of you. You look up at the man, it takes you a second before you realize that you recognize him. You quickly stand; wiping your face of tears and attempting to fix your hair. This was probably a terrible first impression for Nathan's father, you recognized him from the picture on Nathan's desk. He never said much about his dad. 

"I'm..(Y/N). N-Nathan's...friend..." You lied, not wanting to tell him before Nathan did. You weren't even sure if the both of you were even still together.

"Sean Prescott. Nathan's father," He looks you up and down as if he's judging you immediately, "You found him?"

"Y-yes sir."

"I thank you for that. What are you doing here so late?"

"I'm waiting to see him. I need to."

"I see." He walks past you and enters the room

You sighed and brushed your hair behind your ear and paced a bit before looking around and putting your ear to the door. 

"H-Hey dad...look--" you heard Nathan's weak, raspy voice muffled through the door. It was such a relief to hear him...if only you could see him...touch him. You'd feel way better about this shitty night. 

"Don't. You know how embarrassing this shit is for me, Nathaniel?!" his father's voice was furious and booming; you flinched at it

"I-I'm sorry...dad I--" Nathan tried to speak with his timid voice  but his father interrupted again 

"How embarrassing it is for your son to be a druggie?! Do you have any--"

"It's not like that! They weren't illegal...they were prescriptions..." Nathan raised his voice and then the room fell silent for a moment 

"Now why the hell would you take those? You know what," his father lets out a long and loud exhale, "We can talk about this when you get home. I really don't have the patience or time." 

"When do you ever.." Nathan says more quietly

"Excuse me?" his father barks

"N-Nothing, father.." 

"That's what I thought. I'll tell your mother you said 'hi'. Goodbye, son." "Bye, dad." he speaks even quieter and then you hear footsteps. You quickly retreat to your seat. Mr. Prescott emerged from the room; passing you with no acknowledgment of your existence. You roll your eyes and get back up; you assume you're allowed to see him now so you stand and let out a bracing exhale. You force your hand to grip onto the doorknob; despite it's shaking. You open the door and stand in the doorway quietly. You stare at the side of his face since he's looking away from the door. You slowly walk up to his bedside; you make out his glossy eyes.

"Nathan.." you call out to him; making him quickly look up at you 

"(Y/N)? w...what are you doing here?"

"I...brought you here...I couldn't leave without," you feel your chest burn and your become hot as you clinch your fists," making sure you were..ok." you tried so hard to hold it in just to cry anyway. You choke out some sobs before covering your face; you fall into the chair at the side of his bed 

Nathan sits up from his bed painfully and sits on the edge, he reaches out and grabs your arm to pull you up onto your feet and you comply. He pulls you into his arms so that your head is on his shoulders; you still cover your face as you uncontrollably sob. He holds his hand against the back of our head with the other rubbing your back, 
"I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry." he raises his head to kiss the top of yours

"Why would you do that? Were you trying to--" you muffle through cries 

"No! I just....I was really hurt and I didn't want to feel anything. I-I swear I didn't mean to take that many I just...lost myself..."

You wipe your face and sniffle before pulling yourself up to look at him,
"D-don't ever do that again. I-I thought you were gonna die, and just because of me!"

"I'm so sorry I just..I was afraid that you didn't--"

"I do. I do love you, I love you so much, Nathan." you hold onto his face to kiss his lips over and over again. You lay your head back against his shoulder as you hold him tightly; your breath shaky and voice hoarse. 

"I love you too, so much." you both hold onto each other tightly until Nathan pulls away; he scoots away in the bed and pats the spot next to him. 

"Wh..what are you doing?" you hesitantly laugh

"Lay down." he smiles

"Is...that allowed?"

"Uh..it's my  fucking hospital bed. I don't need permission." he chuckles as he jokes

"Okay." you quietly laugh and climb into the bed beside him; his arms cradle you close

"You can stay, you know. You look tired."

You smile and kiss his jaw and lay your head against his chest. You close your eyes and enjoy the moment. You enjoy that you're here with him. You enjoy that he's here with you.