BBQ issues

I got up and made a cup of coffee. I decided to relax for a bit before the barbecue until I heard a frantic knock at my door. Now what?

I walked out of the kitchen and opened the door for Mel.

"What are you doing?!"

"Having a cup of coffee," I said, raising my mug.

"Why aren't you getting ready?"

"Because the barbecue isn't until later," I said with a look.

"Oh good, we have time," she said as she grabbed my hand and dragged me behind her, causing me to spill my coffee.

"Mel!"

"Lina, we need to get you ready, and I need at least five hours to do so!"

Five hours? Isn't that a bit excessive? It takes me ten minutes to shower, ten to dress. Who takes five hours? It's not me.

Mel felt differently. She ordered me to shave my legs as well. I didn't know why. It's not like you could tell and it's not like you could feel the stubble.

Once I showered and shaved, she worked on my hair. I swear I was going to be bald when she got done - nothing like tugging and pulling out chunks of hair.

Next was makeup. I smacked her hand away as she almost stabbed me in the eye with an eyeliner pencil. She glared at me, and I stuck my tongue out at her. Yes, I know, real mature.

But really? Why are we going through all this trouble for a simple barbecue? I knew it was a setup. I swear if it's some skeezy guy I was bolting. If it is any guy, I'm bolting.

Once I was ready, we left to go to Tara's. Since Mel drove, my escape plan was squashed, drat.

We pulled into the driveway and got out. We walked inside and greeted by everyone. Brent was already there. Mel must have dropped him off before coming to get me.

"Kelly is getting the grill ready, and Scott is in the kitchen," Tara told me. I gave her a look. Yep, this was a setup.

We made our way to the kitchen. As soon as I came into view, my eyes widened, and I ran the other way. They stopped me from trying to bolt.

"Where are you going?" Kara asked.

"I can't go in there!"

"Why not?"

"Because of him," I whispered.

"Who?" Mel said to me. I pointed at the kitchen as she peeked inside. Her eyes widened, and she turned to us, "Yep, she definitely can't go in there."

"Why not?" Tara asked her.

"Because the dude talking to Kelly is our boss and Lina's little romantic rendezvous," she said with a look.

"What?!" They both asked in unison.

"The guy from the bar, Lina was dancing with, who happens to be our new boss, who she also slept with that night. It's the same guy in the kitchen," she told them.

They peeked into the kitchen, "I thought he looked familiar now that you mentioned it," Kara said.

Tara smacked her, and Kara slapped her back. They turned back to me.

"I am so not going in there," I told them.

"So, now what," Tara asked them.

********
"So, tell me about this girl," Scott asked Kelly.

"Man, Lina is the sweetest girl you will ever meet. She has the biggest heart, just not the best of luck with love," he said as he seasoned the steaks.