chapter 28

DIANNA'SPOV

"Debby, I'm off to work!" I yell, opening the door.

"Alright... Though I don't like that place." She replies, mumbling the last part even though I hear her.

Now, I don't like the place either but I'm a coward so I'm going to work and rub it in their (Thomas and Bailey)faces how strong I am.

A small smile creeps on my face, on hearing the bells chime when I walk into the restaurant. I head to Mr. Simeon's office first, bracing myself for his scolding since I wasn't here yesterday for my shift.

I knock on the door before I hear him say 'come in'.

"Good morning, sir. Um, I came to apologize for my absence yesterday. I'm really sorry I... " I start but he cuts me off with a faint smile, looking at me.

"I understand Dianna. Thomas already told me why you weren't able to stay till the end of your shift."

I smile hoping it isn't obvious how surprised I am... Thomas covered for me? My heart flutters a bit and I have to scold myself internally.

He doesn't feel anything. Nothing! Nada!!

"Thank you. I thought it'd be best if I came myself to make sure you understand." I say as he nods. I take that as my cue to leave which is exactly what I do.

On heading to the SR, I realize no matter how awkward things are, I have to thank Thomas for looking out for me. Great!

Speaking or thinking of the devil...

Once I enter the SR, Thomas looks at me but averts his gaze making the tension in the room even thicker.

Here it goes... Just say it Mel.

"Thanks for covering up for me yesterday." I say, looking at him which he just nods to.

With pursed lips, I rummage around for my apron and badge so I can get to work.

~~~~~~

I stop in my tracks as I spot Blake sitting at a far corner of the restaurant while looking at me. He mouths 'hey' which makes me smile mouthing a 'hey' back.

Such an unbelievable guy!

'But you love him that way.'

Love? That's too strong a word.

I continue walking towards him since I'm to serve him.

"Is this your favourite restaurant now or what?" I ask, getting out my notepad and pen.

"It's hard to resist when I know you work here." He states, looking straight into my eyes.

"Alright Mr Hotshot, what do you want?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"What do you suggest?" He folds his arms on the table, focusing on me.

"There's a special available this week. Why don't I get you that?" I suggest returning the notepad and pen.

"Sounds good to me." He replies as I start walking away. "Don't forget I'd like to be served by just you." He says which makes me shake my head thankful he couldn't see the full blown smile on my face right now.