chapter ii

September 7, 2015
"Sometimes we want what we want even if we know it's going to kill us."

The next morning, it is almost impossible for Katrina to remove herself from the comfort of her bed. When she's finally able to gather enough strength to move her body, she retreats to the restroom. As she is cleansing her face, she notices the dark circles under her eyes that have already developed from last night's lack of sleep.

Last night, Kat's mind was overloaded with thoughts. She contemplated about the upcoming school year, graduate school, her future career choices, and despite her brain's struggle to fight against it, Spencer. Kat kept trying to understand what was so special about him. He did not seem any different than any other attractive man that has caught Kat's eye, but there was something exceptional about him. It killed Kat knowing she could not figure it out.

After she is done inspecting her troublesome skin, she proceeds to follow her everyday morning routine, including brushing her teeth and her long brown hair. She then applies a light application of makeup, attempting to cover up the swollen under-eye bags. For her outfit, she decides on an oversized striped sweater and plain black leggings.

Because she has the same criminology class as AJ, they both agreed on meeting up for coffee prior to class. As Kat grabs her school bag and is about to exit, she hears the tapping of footsteps behind her.

"Hey." She turns to see Celia, one of her roommates.

"Hi, good morning. Sorry, did I wake you?" Kat looks at her, apologetically.

"I needed to wake up anyways." She grins, rubbing her eyes.

"Aw, I'm sorry." Kat frowns .

"No, don't worry! Now get to class. Good luck!" Celia pulls Kat into a hug, which triggers a smile in Kat.

"You too. Tell Joss and Viv to have a good day for me!" Kat calls before finally leaving.

"Will do!" Celia responds, just before Kat shuts the door behind her.

Celia, Josslin, and Viviana and Kat have been roommates since sophomore year. Celia was Kat's original roommate back in freshman year, and Josslin and Viviana were roommates then too, and they happened to bump into each other during an intense game of beer pong and immediately hit it off.

Upon Kat's arrival at Stumptown, AJ is already waiting at a table along with a cheese danish, a croissant, and two coffee-filled mugs.

"Hey!" Kat pulls AJ into a hug.

"Hi! I already ordered your food." She pushes the plate containing the croissant towards Kat.

"You're the best. Thank you."

Their time at the shop is spent talking about school. By the way AJ bites her cheek, Kat can tell the thought about graduating also makes AJ uneasy.

At around 9:40, 20 minutes before class is going to begin, the two commence to walk toward the building.

At about 9:55, the room is filled with 43 students exact. 15 minutes pass, and the professor still has not arrived.

If there is one thing that Kat hates just as much as racism, misogyny, and incorrect grammar is when people are not on time. In her experience, people who are late are typically careless and absentminded. She just hopes this professor is an exception.

As she slips her hand into her back pocket to retrieve her phone, she hears someone walk into the room.

"I'm so sorry I'm late. There was a crazy line at this coffee shop. I'm Dr. Reid." Kat looks up to see the face of her new teacher and her whole body goes numb.

She would be able to recognize that same pair of glasses, brown satchel, and those gorgeous wavy locks from a mile away. Today, he also has on a tan blazer over a dress shirt and black tie layered with a cream sweater with dark grey khakis.

It's him. It's Spencer.

"Kat-" AJ begins to whisper.

"I know." The two turn to each other, both equally as shocked.

For the entire two hours of the lecture, Kat can't bring her mind to focus for a single second. Knowing that the stranger who's been embedded in her memory for the past 24 hours is her professor troubles her. She tells herself to not let her feelings get in the way of her education, and only view Dr. Reid in a professional manner.

Finally, class is dismissed. AJ and Kat purposely gather their belongings slow enough so they're the last ones left in class, with AJ taking especially long. As Kat taps her foot against the tile of the floor, she sees AJ pull out the brown journal from her backpack.

"Why'd you bring it with you?" Kat whispers.

"I told you. In case I run into him." She offers the book to Kat, but she only pushes it back to AJ. "Suit yourself."

The two girls then grab their bags and approach Dr. Reid, who is sitting at his desk, lost in a copy of an original Russian-written copy of War and Peace.

"Dr. Reid?" AJ asks.

He looks up at her from his book, and carefully sips his coffee. "Hi, how can I help you?"

"I'm AJ, I work at Stumptown's. I think you came in yesterday, and you left this." She places his book on his desk, leaving his eyes open with shock.

Even with his insanely incredible memory and intelligence, Spencer is forgetful. Ever since he witnessed Maeve get shot and killed in cold blood right in front of his eyes, he has never been his same quirky and buoyant self. He is now absentminded and distant from the world around him.

Maeve was the first girl he has ever loved, and she was the first girl to ever look at him as more than just a freak with facts and statistics.

"Oh, wow, thank you so much." His face reads relief, nervousness, and tenseness. AJ is about to ask him something, but she stops herself. "Um, have a good day."

"You too." His eyes pass AJ, to Kat and the two lock eyes for a moment. His lips slowly curl up, giving a sly smile. His small gesture causes Kat's breath to hitch, and her heart steadily begins to accelerate. She takes a moment before smiling back. Spencer then resumes to read his book, and the two girls walk out of the room in utter silence.

"Holy shit... He's our professor." AJ mutters.