chapter viii

September 18, 2015
"And I'm letting you sink in."

"That'll be it today. See you all next week." Spencer dismisses his class. He lifts the lights in the room to see the faces of his students. He assembles all of the loose papers scattered on his desk and slips them back into his satchel.

"See you next week, Dr. Reid." One of the girls bats her eyes at the professor.

"Have a good day." He smiles at her, but quickly resumes to pack his items.

Since it has been so long since Spencer has seen the LaMontagne family: JJ, her husband Will, their son and Spencer's godson Henry, and just five week old Michael, JJ invited him over to spend the weekend with them.

Back at his apartment, Spencer grabs his pre-packed bag from off his counter and heads to the parking lot of the building.

from JJ: About to leave. Can't wait to see you guys!

Spence: Us either! Drive safely!

Spencer drives so rarely that placing his hands on the steering feels foreign to him. His thoughts are so overpowering that he doesn't trust himself on the road and is forced to take the bus or subway.

Normally a two hour drive, Spencer pulls into the LaMontagne driveway after only an hour. He grabs his bags from the passenger seat and walks up the front door. After five knocks, the door opens revealing JJ with a smiling Michael nuzzled in her arms.

"Michael, look who it is!" JJ exclaims.

"Hey, Michael!" Spencer releases his luggage and opens his arms wide for JJ to hand Michael to him. At first, the baby is confused by the unfamiliar man in front of him, but a smile soon grows back on his face. "Aren't you adorable?"

"It's so great to see you, Spence." JJ places her hand on Spencer's back and admires the exchange of the two.

"You too. How are you?"

"I haven't slept in about five days, but other than that I'm good."

"Well, you look amazing."

"Thank you. Henry gets off of school at 3. Do you want to grab something to eat before we pick him up?"

"Please. I'm starving."

They both decide on a nearby cafe that they'd almost always go on the days when they didn't have a case. As always, JJ orders her usual mango-avocado salad and Spencer a plate of tacos.

"Penelope wanted to come, but she got caught up in the office." JJ tells Spencer as he sets their food on the table.

"How is she?"

"Same old Garcia." She grins. "How's work?"

"It's great. I can finally talk as much as I want without having anyone stop me." Spencer jokes.

After Spencer goes on about his new life, obviously leaving out the details of his relationship status, JJ updates him about everyone in the BAU. He even even catches himself frowning from realizing how much he's missing out.