chapter xiv

October 24, 2015
"The naked truth is always better than the best dressed lie."

"Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone - We find it with another."
- Thomas Merton

Spencer's eyes remain fixated on those written words in his copy of The Narrative of John Smith. His mind soon recalls all of the events that took place that year. That year full of both happiness and sorrow.

He then closes the book shut and places it aside.

Maeve Donovan
June 19, 1982 - December 2, 2012
Journey On

He reaches beside him for the bouquet of daisies and places it below her headstone.

He lingers a while longer until he feels his stomach cuing him to leave.

For once, he walks away from her grave without feeling like a piece of him has been ripped apart.

As he reaches his car, he pulls out his cellphone and clicks on Kat's number.

"Hey!" He hears her warm voice greet.

"Hi."

"What's up?"

"I was just going to ask if you want to grab some lunch?" Even though they've been seeing each other for nearly a month, he still feels nerves flow inside him whenever he asks her out.

"I would, but I'm already eating lunch with Tyler."

"Oh! I'm sorry-"

"No, it's fine." She lets out a light laugh. "I'll text you later though, okay?"

"Yeah, of course. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye." Kat quickly hangs up and looks back up at Tyler. "Sorry about that."

"It's cool. Who was it?"

"Just Josslin. Anyways, you were saying?" Tyler continues to tell her about his rebelling younger sister who just entered high school. She lets him rant for a couple of minutes before she excuses herself to the bathroom, but in reality leaves to text Spencer.

Kat: you should've asked me sooner :(

Kat: can we have dinner tonight?

From spencer💞: Sure. Where at?

Kat: do you want to have a picnic?

From spencer💞: Yeah, that sounds fun.

Kat: wow, you sound so excited

From spencer💞: Huh?

Kat: for a person with an iq of 187, you sure don't catch on to sarcasm very well

From spencer💞: Oops. Yeah, unfortunately sarcasm and I don't usually go hand-in-hand.

Kat: it's one of the reasons why I like you <3