chapter xii

October 2, 2015
"These violent delights have violent ends and in their triumph die, like fire and powder."

"Where are we going?" Kat asks, following Spencer to his car.

"Have you had French food before?"

" I can't say I have."

"There's this really amazing French restaurant that I think you're really going to like... that is if you're okay with that."

Kat smiles in appreciation of his constant reassurance of her comfort. "Yeah, that sounds great."

The next 15 minutes is spent in silence with the light trill of music echoing in the car.

"Hey, Kat?" Spencer interrupts her fast-pacing thoughts.

"Hm?"

"Don't be nervous."

"What makes you think I'm nervous?"

"You're not talking and you're doing that tick with your fingers." Kat immediately breaks apart her hands and blushes. "Don't worry. It's adorable." He gently places his free hand on her hers which only makes her flush harder.

Because of the Friday night crowds, Spencer's forced to park in a parking structure three blocks away, but a walk through the brisk night air is just what Kat might need to relieve herself.

"Spencer for two." Spencer notifies the hostess of the restaurant.

"Okay. Right this way." As the hostess leads them to their table, Kat takes the opportunity to look over  the area.

When Spencer told her the restaurant is fancy, he sure wasn't kidding. Hanging from the ceiling are cloud-like fixtures illuminating the clothed-tables scattered through out the floor and in place of walls, glass surrounds the whole scenery giving a gorgeous view of the city lights.

Kat scrunches her nose as soon as her eyes fall on the price of the first menu item, and it only gets worse the further she reads through the menu.

"45 dollars for the filet mignon, 33 dollars for the risotto... Spencer, I would've been more than happy to share a McDonald's happy meal with you."

"I know, but you deserve to be taken somewhere special."

Just like most girls, Kat grew up with fairy tales. Only they were in their original, dark form. Because of that and her parents' dysfunctional marriage, she's never been a believer in fairy tales and had trouble grasping on to the idea of love, but now Spencer is making it a lot easier for her.

Because this is one of his favorite restaurants, Spencer doesn't even need to read the menu and orders his usual scallops and linguini. On the other hand, Kat is overwhelmed by all the options on the menu but eventually decides on the mushroom and chicken risotto.

"You know... this is my first date." Kat informs, taking a sip of her partially full wine glass.

"You're kidding. What about Tyler?"

"I told you. Just friends with benefits. But I did go on a date with this boy named Frankie in high school, but we only went out for two weeks so that doesn't really count. So you're technically my first official boyfriend."