chapter xxii

Warning: Smut!!!

December 7, 2015
"God knows where I would be if you hadn't found me sitting all alone in the dark."

"Good morning, my love." Spencer hums.

"Morning!" He smiles, hearing the chirp of Kat's voice on the other line. "I'm going to stop and get some coffee, do you want anything?"

"Guess speakers today, remember? They're coming early, and I don't want anyone getting suspicious. Thank you, th-"

"Shit!" She blurts, cutting him off.

"You okay?"

"I completely forgot... Some of us don't have an eidetic memory like you, Doctor."

Even though Spencer is unable to see her face, he sees the image of her brows furrowing and the meddling of her fingers - a nervous tick of her's that he's discovered. Concern immediately takes over him.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, totally. I mean, it's not like I'm meeting my boyfriend's friends for the first time. And before you say anything, yes, I will talk to them. I'm not passing up an opportunity to talk to THE David Rossi."

"Of course. Like we talked about, Kat." He pauses for a moment. "Just, you know, be careful."

"Spence, I know. Don't worry, okay? I'll see you soon." He lets out a soft "bye" before she hangs up.

Spencer stares directly into the wall, while fiddling with his watch. Of course he knows nothing will happen, no one will find our about their secret affair; still, the anxiety continues to loom over him.

His thoughts are eventually cut off by a series of three knocks on his front door. As soon as he opens it, he is bombarded with cheers and hugs.

There is a sudden feeling of overwhelming suffocation. It has felt like forever since he's been around all of them at once: Aaron Hotchner, Emily Prentiss, David Rossi, Penelope Garcia and Derek Morgan. The sound of their cheers and vibration of their presence unlocks an old feeling inside of him. One that he stored away long time ago the moment he placed his resignation letter on Hotchner's desk.

Yet with every sight of their familiar smiles, Spencer begins to realize how much he missed them - his friends, not co-workers

"Oh, Spencer how we've missed you." Penelope sighs, reaching in for one of her soul-crushing hugs. She knows how much he absolutely detests the feeling of someone's arms restricting his body, he's told her more than once. But he also knows how much she doesn't care.

And he doesn't mind one bit.

"And I've missed you guys... so much." He turns to see a figure that he has never met, but only heard of. The one who took over Spencer's spot within the Bureau. "You must be Luke."

The newest team member gives a nod of confirmation and waves, "The one and only."

"Do I smell... bacon? Eggs? Coffee?" Penelope sniffs, and then eyes Spencer suspiciously. "Who are you, and what did you do to Spencer Reid?"

Spencer gives her a cheeky grin and replies, "Breakfast anyone?"

•     •     •     •     •