chapter xvii

November 13, 2015
"Maybe you could forget what I said, and just hold me instead."

"Woah, woah. Hold on. Let me get this straight: you were dating your professor until he found out that you kissed your 'ex' after your ex walked in on you two making out on his desk? And I thought my love life was fucked up." Kat shrugs in Oliver's navy bomber jacket. "No offense, Kat, but out of all the guys on campus, why pick your freaking professor?"

"Are you going to judge me too?" Their waitress comes around, placing their sodas and large order of fries in the center of the table. Oliver gives her a quick thanks before turning his attention back to Kat.

"I miss him so much. You know how hard it is for me to hear every single girl in my class talk about how much they want to go down on him?"

"I'm sure it was really hard for you." He stares at the intoxicated girl, who he isn't sure why he got involved with. "Kat, I don't understand why you don't just apologize."

"Why should I be the one to do it? He's the one who said he shouldn't have gotten involved with me." She rolls her eyes with her mouth stuffed with fries.

"You know what I think, Kat? I think you know you messed up, but you don't want to admit it. I think you're so used to always being right, that when you're put into this kind of situation, your first instinct is to play the victim. Am I right?" Kat grumbles to herself as she reaches over for another handful of fries. "Sometimes you need to own up to your actions, and if you can't do that, maybe you're better off alone."

"But I don't want to be alone... I want to be with Spencer." She whines like a toddler placed in time out.

"Then?" She stares at him with a blank expression, before standing up and walking away from the table. "Where are you going?"

"To get my man back."

• • • • •

"Kat! Slow down!" Oliver shouts as he tries to follow Kat, who's sprinting up the stairs of Spencer's apartment complex. But because she's so focused on getting to his front door, she completely shuts him out.

Finally when she reaches apartment 305, she vigorously knocks on his door. "Spencer!"

"Kat, you need to be quiet." Oliver snaps, but she continues to ignore him.

On the fifth round of her obnoxious yelling and pounding on the door, he finally opens up.

Kat's heart nearly melts at the sight. She scans over Spencer standing in front of her with his moppy curls, distressed star-trek T-shirt and grey sweatpants, which she vividly remembers wearing so many times.

Her eyes slowly travel back up to meet his, and almost flinches from the bitter look he shoots her.

"What the hell are you doing, Kat?" His head turns to see Oliver and she can see his anger grow. "Are you drunk?"

"I'm sorry. For everything."

"It's two in the morning, you need to leave." He begins to close the door, but she places her hand on it to stop him.

"Just please listen. I know I fucked up and said and did things I shouldn't have, and I'm so sorry for all of it. I want you and only you. No one else." Spencer stares at her, trying to stay strong and keep her away from him, even though all he wants is nothing more than to have her back. "Please say something."

"I don't know what you want me to say, Kat."

"Anything."

"Excuse me! People are trying to sleep!" At the end of the hallway stands Debbie Davis with her elderly body enclosed in a robe and her gray hair wrapped tightly into her rollers.

"Sorry, Ms. Davis. We'll keep it down."
She mumbles a few curse words at them before shuffling back into her room.

"Should I leave you two alone, or..." Oliver finally interjects, feeling like he's only making the whole situation worse.

"No, I doubt he'll even let me stay."

"Of course I'm going to let you stay." Kat gives off a smile that gleams even in the dim hallway.

Before Kat squeezes pass to get into the apartment, she turns to Oliver and throws her arms around him.

"I'm sorry about tonight." She murmurs.

"Don't worry about it. It's the most excitement I've had in my life in a while. Text me sometime. Maybe we can get some coffee or something."

"Yeah I'd like that. I'll see you later." She flashes him one last smile before disappearing into Spencer's apartment.

Oliver begins to turn back towards the stairs when he hears Spencer's voice.

"Thank you, by the way." Before Oliver gets the opportunity to even utter out a single world, the door is already shut.

As Oliver walks through the street back to his own apartment, he feels a smile creep up. Although he didn't get a date, he still feels satisfied knowing he helped bring back together two people who have fallen so deep for each other, that even with the circumstances, would sacrifice anything to be with one another.

•     •     •     •     •

Kat stares at Spencer, her cheeks still bright red and eyes swollen from her tears.

"Spencer-" She gently reaches out to touch his arm, when she feels that familiar pit in the bottom of her stomach. "Oh god-" She sprints into the restroom and makes it just in time to spew all of the content from the night out her stomach and into the toilet.

"Just let it all out." She feels him pull her hair behind her and softly rub her back. Once she's sure she's done, she quickly flushes the toilet before rolling over to lean on the bath. She keeps her eyes closed, hoping to relieve the throb in her head. "Come here, Kat." She slowly opens her eyes and sees Spencer kneeling beside her with one of his t-shirts and a bottle of water. "Let's get you cleaned up."

After a seemingly quiet and long half an hour of Spencer helping her change and brush her teeth, he gently leads her into his bed.

"Spencer, I'm sorry about everything, I-"

"Shhh, we'll talk in the morning. You need rest."

She doesn't protest. She slips into the warmth of the bed sheets, and he follows.

After a few minutes, Spencer notices her shivering body. Without thinking, he gently pulls her into his arms.

"I love you, Spencer."

Even with a brain that can process thousands of words in just one second, it takes him way longer to even comprehend those four words that slip from her mouth.  

But once he does, he responds back, never feeling so sure of something in his entire life: "I love you too, Kat."

Author's Note
IM BACK. this past school year has been super rough on me and i didn't have the mental capacity to write. but now i'm back and better than ever. i hope you all liked this chapter :)