chapter v

September 15, 2015
"You are something I should do without, but I know I won't."

The nervousness, anxiety, and excitement of waiting to see Dr. Reid is almost unbearable for Kat.   Her feelings are almost identical to when she went on her very first date with Frankie Russo, during her sophomore year of high school.

"Okay, that's it," AJ drops the blender in her hand into the sink and turns to Kat. "What's going on with you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." Kat shakes her head.

"Cut the crap, Kat. You haven't said a single word to me since you got here, you're glancing at the window every 10 seconds, your leg is moving non-stop, and you're doing that thing with your hand." Kat frowns at how easily read she is. "... and you're avoiding eye contact."

"I just have a lot on my mind is all."

"Mhm, okay." She murmurs under her breath and continues to clean off the counter.

Kat rolls her eyes in response. She slows the shaking of her leg and only glimpses at the window every few seconds to make it look less suspicious. Every time she hears the jingle of the bell, her head shoots up in hopes of seeing Dr. Reid, but there's still no sign of him.

Kat strolls over to the pick-up counter to place a peach ice tea when she hears a voice.

"Katrina?" Her ears perk up. That voice. She could never forget that voice.

"No way." She spins around with a huge smile plastered on her face. "Tyler. How've you been?"

Tyler Moore. Kat met him in her sophomore English literature class. After a study session between the two, things began to escalate. They fooled around with each other for a few months until Tyler started to grow feelings that Kat didn't feel back. She broke it off, and they haven't spoke or seen each other since.

"I'm good. I just got a law internship at a law firm near here." He informs.

"Wow, congrats! I'd give you a hug, but..."

"No, don't worry about it. How are you?"

"I'm doing really well. School's a doozy, but I'm getting through it."

"I feel you." He stares at her with his big brown eyes that almost became a comfort to Kat. "Could I just get a small chamomile tea?"

"Some things never change." She grins down at the her hand writing down his order on a paper cup.

When Kat and Tyler were 'together', they'd constantly fight over which drink is best: coffee or tea. Of course Kat would always argue that coffee has the best health benefits while Tyler complained that coffee is too boring since there's really only one flavor to choose from versus tea which has a variety.

"No, no they don't." He smiles back at her, sadly.

"That'll be right up." He hands her a five dollar bill, but she denies it. "It's on the house."

"Thanks, Tina. I'll see you around?"

"Yeah, totally." Her eyes follow him as he walks away, her mind reminiscing over the moments they've shared together.