chapter xv

October 26, 2015
"So it's true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love."

"KATRINA!" Kat brings her head up from her phone to see AJ, with two large iced coffees, running over to her.

"Hey!" AJ hands her one of the cups and plops down in the seat beside her.

"I have so much to tell you." As they wait for class to start, AJ recounts her latest tinder date who, out of all people, happened to be her old elementary school bully. "It's hard to believe after all these years, she's still a bitch to me. It's kind a shame though. I actually really liked her."

"That's why you go out and meet people instead of online dating."

"Not all of us are lucky like you, Kat." Kat reddens at her comment.

Besides AJ and Spencer, Kat has learned a lot about the students in her class. Particularly about the girl behind her, Melanie, who has taken an interest in Spencer.

Spencer knows, and so does Kat. It's obvious in the way she twirls her golden locks as he teaches, or when she leans over his desk to ask him a question. Kat doesn't hate her for it. How can she? She practically did the same for his attention. But today, she brought a friend, Aubrey, and as soon as Spencer walks into class, the whispers begin.

"Holy shit, you weren't kidding." Aubrey mumbles under her breath.

"I told you." Melanie whispers back.

"Maybe I should start auditing more often." It takes all of Kat's strength to not turn around and tell the two girls everything that she has done with Spencer.

Through out class, she can hear them talk and giggle. Kat has never been the jealous type, but right now, she needs to do something before she inadvertently slaps one of them.

"One of the most important parts of an investigation is victimology. Victimology can help to understand why a specific victim was chosen for that specific crime." Spencer's eyes quickly glance at Kat and is caught off guard by a smug look plastered on her face with the straw from her coffee cup rolling between her lips. For a moment, his breath hitches at the alluring sight.

He quickly clears his throat in a attempt to erase the image from his mind and carries on with the lecture, attempting his best to avoid Kat.

When both Spencer and Kat finally get through the most difficult lecture they both have ever endured, Kat takes extra time packing her items.

As the class continues to pile out, Kat looks up to see two remaining students surrounding Spencer's desk.

"I couldn't help but share with her about how great your class is." Melanie smiles at him.

"Thank you, I'm flattered." He looks past them and sees Kat trying to hold back a laugh. "If you two don't mind, I have an appointment I have to get to."

"Oh no! Not at all. See you next week."

"It was nice meeting you, doctor Reid." Aubrey offers her hand, but he gives her a small wave instead.

She glances between her hand and him with confusion. There's an exchange of awkward stares before Melanie is able to pull Aubrey away. Even when they're outside, he can hear the echo of them arguing like preadolescent girls over a celebrity.