4

"How is Johnny doing?" Hannah Thornton asked her son.

"The doctor said he will be better in about 12 hours. She thinks it is the milk again."

"Anna admitted to giving him some warm milk to help settle Johnny down."

Thornton looked up sharply at his mother. The maid did this? He shook his head. "You have released her from her duties Mother?"

"I will when I return. What else is bothering you, John?"

"ELSE? My son could have died! Your grandson almost DIED."

"But he didn't."

Thornton looked away, scowling.

"It's that doctor." Hannah did not ask a question.

"What does the doctor have to do with anything?"

"She reminds you of Margaret. " Hannah Thornton was an observant woman. She knew if the lady doctor reminded her of Margaret, it would be the same with John.

He didn't respond.

"John, now is not the time to be thinking about another woman. You still haven't accepted that Margaret is gone. Trying to replace her with the doctor would not be fair to her or to you."

"That is enough Mother." John snapped. Rarely did he speak to his mother in such a way.

Alexandria tapped on the doorframe. Seeing her standing there shut down the conversation between mother and son. Bringing in a tray with tea and biscuits, she put it to the side. "Please help yourselves. I am not the best hostess I'm afraid, but I need to check Johnny out again."

Hannah fixed the tea for herself and John while Alex worked. The swelling was gone, with that Alex breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm going to seal the wound now that the swelling has gone down. He will wake up in a few hours." Getting a kit that she had made for such purposes, Alex washed up. Sitting on the edge of the boy's bed, she watched and listened to his breathing.

"His throat will be very sore and he very likely have some pain from the cut. If I am not in the room when he awakens, please call out for me. We need to keep him still and quiet for a while yet."

Cleaning up, Alex excused herself once again. She was followed a few moments later by Mrs. Thornton.

"Doctor, thank you for taking such good care of my grandson."

"No thanks is needed Mrs. Thornton. This is not just my profession but my passion as well. I would gladly do it 100 times over if need be."

"Hopefully this shall be the last time we will need your services. John wishes to stay with his son, I need to return to our home to make sure everything has been brought back to order."

"It is not a problem ma'am. He may stay as long as he wishes."

"Thank you Doctor."

Alex nodded and handed the elder woman her wrap, standing silently as the woman returned to her carriage to be brought back to the mill and home.

Walking back in to the room, she found John Thornton asleep. Taking two blankets, Alex draped one over his front and the other across his shoulders, she let him rest. Sleepless nights were common for Alex, and she was fine with watching over father and son.

It was about six in the morning when the little boy started to stir. Alex tapped his nose gently and got a smile out of the boy. Pointing to where his father napped, she put a finger to her lips. When Johnny nodded, she whispered to him to stay very quiet but to shake his head for yes and no.