10

One of the ladies that worked for Alexandria stopped by one late evening out of the blue.

"Sarah!" Alex smiled, happy to see her friend. "This is a surprise. Come in come in."

"Yer a sight better than the last time I saw you."

"Sleep is a wonderful thing. Would you like some tea? I was making myself some."

"That sounds nice, thank ya."

Fixing two cups of tea, the ladies sat in the sitting room upstairs. It rarely got any use except for Sarah's visits.

"Alex, I wanted to warn ya about somethin'." Except in the clinical setting, Alexandria had instructed her employees to call her Alexandria or Alex. Some, like Sarah, did. Other's felt uncomfortable.

"Warn me of what?" She was confused. What unspoken rule was broken now?

"Don't know who or what or even when, but there is going to be an accident at one of the mills."

"What sort of accident?" Brow creasing, Alex didn't miss the terror in her friend's voice.

"I don't know that either. It's being talked about tho'."

"Why?"

"I don't know anything other than what I told ya."

"Why did you tell me Sarah?"

"Doc, if something happens at one of the mills, there is gonna be a lot of good people hurt. Might even kill'em. The mill closes, then folks are outta work and they starve. No one would believe my word but they would believe you." She shrugged.

Sitting back in the chair, Alex steepled her fingers against her lips. She was trying to figure out what to do. "Thank you for letting me now Sarah. I think I need to go."

"Of course. Please take care. This could be bad Doc."

"I've heard the stories."

Wrapping herself up in a warm shawl, she went out into the night. She couldn't go to the any of the mill masters, save for Thornton. So it was there she went. Alex took to the streets in a run, thankful that the town of Milton was asleep for the most part. She was unladylike in her demeanor once again, Alex ate up the distance easily and upon reaching her destination banged heavily on the padlocked entrance to Marlborough Mills. Cursing softly, she kept banging. Finally, Williams peeked outside the gate.

"Doc! What in the blazes are you doing here at this hour?"

"I cannot explain Mr. Williams but I need to see Mr. Thornton now."

"I'm sorry Doc, I can't do that. I need this job."

"Fine." She moved so it looked like she was turning away. In an instant, she pushed past the older man and took off running towards the Thornton home. There she did the same thing. She banged on the door until Williams caught up with her, pulling Alex away from the door. She was damned near ready to fight the man when the door opened.

"Annie!" She pulled away from Williams. "I need to see Mr. Thornton or Mrs. Thornton now."

After a few more moments of struggle. Alex was led up the stairs and into the sitting room. She was met by Hannah Thornton.

"DR. COPELAND! This is highly inappropriate!"

"Mrs. Thornton, I understand this. Please believe me, if I didn't think there was validity to this, I wouldn't have come in the middle of the night. One of my employees snuck over to tell me that someone is planning on an accident happening in one of the mills. I have no idea who what or even when, but I do believe her in my heart and soul. "