19

Hannah Thornton had taken her grandson to Alexandria's clinic several times while her daughter-in-law was staying there. When Johnny had asked to go see his Mama, Hannah was having a difficult time trying to tell him that she was gone. Hannah was unable to find the words and settled on telling the young lad they would go at a different time.

When John didn't come down to breakfast, she assumed that he had already gone to the mill. It wasn't unusual for him to do so. It was midmorning when John's foreman came looking for John. Hannah sent the man on his way and went to find her son.

Still laying on the bed, feet on the floor, was John. He had not slept.

"John! Are you ill?" Hannah asked.

"No."

"Why are you not at the mill?"

"I am a failure mother.

"You are not a failure John."

"I failed my wife. I hurt her the way I have never hurt another person in all my years. I was cruel, thoughtless, and hateful."

"Yes, you were."

John rolled his head to the side to look at his mother. "I didn't deserve her. She didn't deserve my treatment of her."

"It's over now John. You need to pull yourself together. You have a business and a son that both need you."

"I can't face the mill."

"John Thornton, you will face the mill and your workers. It was by your hand that did the damage. You do not get a day to feel sorry for yourself and lick your wounds. You need to talk to your son and tell him what has happened and then you need to talk to the hands and their families that will be looking for your wife."

"You are correct." John sighed and sat up.

Hannah didn't say anything else to her son and walked away. She had errands to attend to, including a stop at the bank and the post office.

When his mother left, John laid back on the bed. Truly, he meant to get up but was just unable to do so yet. His thoughts settled back on Alexandria. He had wronged her horribly. The realization that she was well and truly gone was painful.

Yet, John understood that it was his fault. He could speak with her about anything, except his own feelings. Even the small things that happened at the mill, it might take a bit of understanding but she was able to catch on quickly. He had said to Higgins more than once that given a bit of training, Alexandria could probably run the mill better than he himself could.

Once again, Hannah Thornton thought that her son had returned to work. Having always listened to her in the past, there was no reason to think differently. Nightfall came and when he had not returned home after the mill long since finished for the day, she went to check on him. The mill was completely devoid of life and that included John. Exasperated, she returned home and without bothering to knock Hannah entered John's bedroom. He was finally sleeping.

Hannah didn't bother him, as much as she wished to.

The next morning Hannah went to check on her grandson and get him ready for his breakfast. They had just sat down to eat when there was someone at the door. One of the maids went down to answer it. Frowning, Hannah wasn't exactly positive who it could be coming at the very early hour, but she did have an idea.

The visitor was no visitor at all, it was Alexandria. Bending to kiss her mother-in-law's cheek, she spoke softly. "Telegram received Mother Thornton."