16

On the night of Christmas Eve, Hannah Thornton read to her family and servants the story of Jesus being born in a manger. A crackle from the fireplace made each and every one in the large home grateful for something. Tomorrow morning the presents would be opened, the sweets tasted and all would settle down to a large Christmas dinner of roast beef.

Johnny Thornton was sitting between his parents listening aptly to his grandmother tell the tale of the very first Christmas. Alexandria had made up the stockings the rest of the family knew nothing about. She would sneak out and place them near the fireplace when she had a chance to do so. Warm and happy, Alex's mind drifted to the day's events.

Marlborough Mills had a wonderful Christmas Eve celebration for the workers and their families. Most of the workers brought something with them to go along with the turkey, potatoes, stuffing and sweets that Alexandria and John had provided.

Most of the workers knew Alexandria between the mill and the clinic. They all joined in teasing her and their Master. Higgins, however, simply watched the others. When the lady doctor had a moment of refuge, he approached her quietly.

"Doc, if I may have a word with ya?"

"Of course Mr. Higgins what can I do for you?"

"I wanted to thank ya."

"Whatever for?"

"The Master and I go back a ways. When Miss Mar'get left Milton, he was a heartbroken man. When she came back 'wit him, he was so alive. They loved each other. It broke all our hearts when Miss Mar'get passed on. Don't think I saw the Master smile or laugh for over four years. He's happy again. Thank you for taking care of him."

Tears pricked Alexandria's eyes. "Thank you Mr. Higgins. I love him dearly. Thank you."

Higgins brushed the thanks off and started to laugh. "Looks like the Master is lookin' for ye ma'am."

"Uh-oh. I may be in trouble." Smiling happily, she waved to her husband.

Johnny and John Thornton, having found Alexandria, walked over to where she and Higgins were standing.

Johnny ran up to his mother and gave her a tight hug. Alexandria dropped a warm kiss on the top of his head.

"Mr. Higgins!" Johnny solemnly shook the man's hand before running off to play with some of the Boucher children.

"Enjoying yourself Higgins?" John shook his friend's hand.

"Aye Master. Yersself?"

"Best Christmas I have had in a long time." John said softly, looking to his wife.

Alexandria was startled back from the reverie when Hannah closed the Bible. She saw that Johnny was dozing off. Smiling, Grandmother, Father, and Mother took him to bed. He was too sleepy for a story so each one of them kissed his smooth brow good night. Alexandria paused to place the stuffed bunny she had made for him on the bed. Within a few moments, he was sound asleep.

Tomorrow would be a busy day, so the three adults said good night and retired to their own beds.

John and Alexandria were preparing for bed when she stood behind him with her hands on his waist. Soft lips just barely touched the curve of his ear when she whispered.

"I have a special present for you my handsome love."

"I rather like the sound of that."

Sitting primly on the edge of the bed, Alexandria wore her dressing gown. There was a small wrapped package next to her.