20

Alexandria stayed in the Thornton home but she didn't return to the bed chambers shared with John. Instead, she stayed in the nursery. It wasn't as difficult as she thought it would be returning. The family resumed their lives as normal, mostly. John made sure to set aside time every evening to spend time with his family. He was desperate to reconnect with Alex so he set aside time for just the two of them as well.

Having excused herself shortly after dinner, Alex was in the process of getting ready for bed. The baby was being active and she was exhausted. John had been out to his normal meeting with the other masters when he came in, startling her.

A bit flushed, she looked sheepish. "I wasn't expecting you so early John."

"Are you feeling ill?"

"No. Not at all. Your child is quite active today and she has exhausted me."

"She?"

"For some reason I believe we are going to have a little girl."

"I think I would like that." He smiled. Standing behind Alex, John took the brush from her hand and started working through her long hair.

"You don't have to do that." He had never brushed her hair before. "I can manage."

"Yes, you can. But I wish to."

"Who am I to argue then?"

Continuing to brush her hair, John looked thoughtful. "May I ask you some questions?"

"You just did, but of course."

"Why do your patients fare better than Dr. Shanks? I would think it would be the opposite."

"One would think that, wouldn't they?" She smiled softly. "I am younger than Dr. Shanks and know more up to date information. My schooling was more recent than his. I offered to teach him, but I am sure you know how well that went over."

"I can imagine." John chuckled. "Although, his not wishing to learn seems foolish."

"He is a proud man." She shrugged.

"Alexandria, why didn't you mention the funds you had to me?" He sounded hurt.

"You never asked."

"Is that all?"

Turning, Alexandria took the brush from him and put it away. Covering his hand with her own, she gave it a squeeze. "Yes John. That is all. Since the day we married your name was on the books for the account. You just never looked. I'm sure if you delved into it, there would be a lot you don't know about me."

"Such as?"

"Ask and ye shall receive."

"You are naughty." He quipped.

Alexandria started to laugh. "You are just now figuring that out after nearly 3 years of knowing me?"

Smiling, John enjoyed hearing the sound of her laughter. The once robust sound was so rare these days. "No. I have known. I just didn't appreciate it until recently."

"How was your meeting with the other masters?"

"Much the same. I have noticed a difference since the death of Watson."

Alexandria noticed the way John's lip curled in disgust ever so slightly at saying the name. "Oh?"

"I need to apologize to you again."

"Whatever for?"

"So much of the foulness that went through my head was brought on by Watson. I noticed it tonight. You were asked about, of course. No one speaks ill of you, Alexandria. Other than the first Masters dinner when you had just arrived here, it has always been just Watson."