💜15💜

Sometimes, when you swat at an insect and try your best to push it out the open window, not only does it not go through the window, but it goes into a deeper corner of your room and hides.

Junko usually just keeps them in jars and watches them fly around until they a) Run out of food b) Run out of water or c) Die from shock or fear. She never completely seals the lids, just enough to keep them trapped, because then they'd run out of oxygen and she wouldn't get to see the way they flop around on their backs while their wings buzz intermittently.

I thought it was also worth mentioning that during our childhood, Junko occasionally cut off the legs of spiders and the wings of butterflies and bees just to see what happens. Sometimes, her room would smell like hairspray because she sprayed the ants with them to watch their legs freeze up and their heads struggle to move.

See, this is why I prefer to get rid of insects before Junko finds them, and this is why I hate when they avoid the window no matter how many times you swat them and they insist on re-entering your room.

But, see, I don't need to do that anymore. If a bug enters the classroom, Miss Sayaka insists on letting it out, even if its a bit scary to her. (On the other hand, Kirigiri is severely afraid of bugs.) It's not my job to spare the poor thing's life, in fact, as natural selection would have it, the bugs that know better not to enter the home of Man are going to be the ones who survive.

Because Junko is past bugs. Junko doesn't care about bugs, they're like the first floor enemies in a labyrinth game-- she doesn't gain much from killing them and she doesn't care to anymore. The emotions of a human are much more interesting than the ten minutes a paralyzed ant spends squirming in a pool of hairspray.

Now, humans are the bugs. Upon the elite, we must amplify the game of natural selection by choosing not only the most elite, but the ones best equipped to survive.

Chihiro is not equipped to survive. Junko told me that Chihiro is asking for death by being around me. Junko told me that Chihiro is setting me up for failure, and I must stay neutral among my classmates. I try to push that naive insect away, but no matter how hard I swat, he just keeps flying ba--

"Mukuro?" an awfully familiar voice whispers.

Bzzzzz.... Bzzzzz.... Case and point. Did this supersized puppy seriously forget that I pulled a knife on him last night?

I turned my back on him. "I'm not talking to you until you stab me as hard as you can."

"Y-yeah, about that," Chihiro sighed, "I... I've been meaning to ask..."

"If I pull a knife on you," I warned him once more, "You take that fuckin' knife and dig it right into my stomach. Keep being so goddamn naive and you won't survive a day in the ki-- kitchen."

"The kitchen?" Chihiro laughed nervously. "I admit I'm not too great at cooking, b-but my father wasn't either..."

I checked my watch. 17:15. "Fujisaki, I can show you the basics to cooking, if you'd like."

"Eh," Chihiro shrugged. "It's a bit late... I'd fall asleep."

"Can you even stay awake before 10:00?" I frowned. At this rate, Chihiro would be the first one dead.

"No," Chihiro admitted sheepishly. "I... I don't think."

"Oh, fuck it!" I yelled, slamming my head against the wall. "Chihiro, we need to talk."

"I'm sorry if I've done anything wrong," Chihiro frowns.

"No, I just don't know how..." I shook my head. "Chihiro, has Nanami said anything about a friend going missing?"