9. Duty Calls

Tie scrambled into a nearby noodle house.

He hopped on his feet as he tried to cover all the ordering angles at once.

"Number one, hot, no rice, a coke, to go," he pleaded, as if standing on hot coals.

"Is Pepsi ok?"

"Whatever!"

"Would you like an eggroll on the side?"

Tie ignored him, and sprinted to the lavatories in the back.

The men's door was locked; he jumped into the women's room, and bolted it.

Tie re-evaluated his position as he sat in the stall. He was another block farther away, with less than three hours to deliver the package, but only two before meeting Renee.

'Raspberry Beret'.

"Home already, Kitten?"

"How are today's commitments coming along?" Chirped Renee.

"Clear sailing," as he thought, 'commitments'?

"My mom is on break, outside, in your area; she's wants to meet with you for coffee, where are you?"

Tie contemplated remaining holed up in the women's stall, like a soldier in a bunker.

"About to go down 3rd Ave," he replied, avoiding details.

"Texting her now, bye."

"See you soon honeybunch," mumbled Tie.

After tapping his VISA, Tie abandoned his second lunch on the counter.

A light drizzle prompted fewer people to remain on the sidewalk, as if they were rinsed away.

To his right, he saw a clear path to the Socony-Mobil, and an on time wine bar arrival.

To the left, the ominous form of Charon, an accountant, and his future mother-in-law. She honed in on him like a laser guided missile.