17. Déjà Vu

The floor numbers slowly increased; each one raised Tie's heart rate, and pessimism, just as the ride to the top had done four hours ago.

If it is after three, the office will be closed, and he will become unemployed.

It blinked five.

He would need to update his uninspiring resume, and rely on his co-workers as references to overstate his abilities.

Floor ten.

Tie contemplates returning to Enercorp tonight to empty his desk and avoid tomorrow morning's walk of shame as his colleagues mumble condolences.

Sam would mock him with something like 'it's been a good run'. John would wish him luck, slap him on the back, and then text someone. Carl would offer advice, like 'things have a way of working out for the better'. Stella would shake her head, give him a hug, and shed a tear.

Fifteen whisks past.

Tie is broke, despite the twelve cents that linger in his account.

The cell phone charger that he left at the Walgreen's counter had run his VISA card to its limit. He will need three paycheques to pay it off, if still employed.

This was the first reason to cancel tonight's dinner plans.

Floor twenty.

He will throw out his dirty slacks, splotched Gucci, and remaining Oxford.

There will not be enough time to both change clothes, and pick up the engagement ring.

It would be difficult to enjoy dinner. Renee would pay for drinks and leave a tip, while patiently waiting for a proposal that doesn't come.

This is the second reason to cancel dinner.

PH illuminates, and the doors slide apart.

Tie pauses inside the elevator.

He has two mountains to climb.

First, face CEO Elliott, and determine his employment future.

Second, hurt Renee with an unadorned hand, and cancelled dinner plans.