12. Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Tie pressed the 'CANCEL' button on the keyboard; there was no response from the ATM. He glared at the screen as if it was lying.

He punched several keys, hoping the machine would react, as if it was a statue street performer.

Billy goat re-appeared at his side, and proudly proclaimed,

"Glad I caught you, I found the latht thtain remover at the theckout."

He huffed at Tie's indifference, and then noticed the "Out Of Order" declaration.

"I've theen that before, a tap on the thide uthally workth," he hinted.

Tie gave the machine a kick. The ATM remained defiant.

A deep voice interrupted them,

"Can I help you?"

"This machine is..." started Tie as he turned to face a police officer.

The large man smiled, proud of his surprise. He was seven feet tall, with broad shoulders, and loomed over them like a mountain. He offered an explanation for his sudden appearance,

"This machine is shut down due to several unauthorized transactions. Your name," he demanded, and then added, "please," as a polite afterthought.

"Tie," he offered immediately.

The ATM promptly spat out his card. The officer reached over, plucked it out, and read the name imprinted on it.

"Does Quincy sound familiar?"

Tie grinned innocently.

"That's my real name," he stuttered, worried about the perception. "A woman in pink Lululemons made several transactions before me," he offered.

The officer remained expressionless.

"Why are you vandalizing this ATM with blood on your shirt, Quincy-Tie?

Tie looked down at the splotch, dabbed a finger and licked it. He offered the cop to do the same, but the mountain gagged and turned pale.

"It's Ketchup," Tie stated, as if it was an alibi. "I'm delivering a package to the Socony, I work for Enercorp," he boasted.

Billy goat jumped in, "My Aunt Thtella workth there!"

Ties eyes widened, but the policeman lost patience,

"What's in that package that has travelled so far out of the way?"

"I don't know," replied Tie in a low voice, like a guilty man. He placed the package on the ATM, produced his wallet, and offered his employee card.

The officer ignored it. "We're going to sort this out at the station. The easy way?" He asked.

Tie shrugged.

The officer's face cracked into a wide smile, "The hard way starts with 'you have the right to remain..."

Tie slouched as Billy goat quietly stepped away.

"After you," said the giant politely, as he escorted Tie outside to his cruiser.

Tie's phone bubbled; he read Renee's text as he walked.

"On my way to the wine bar, give me a ring when ur done :D"

Tie slumped into the backseat of the squad car as the Socony shrank in the rear window, like a fading dream.