11. Can't Help It

Tie continued north, in the wrong direction, and resisted the temptation to look over his shoulder for ten seconds. He succumbed, but failed to find Charon who had melted into the crowds that had re-emerged on the sidewalk.

He spotted a Walgreens across the street, ambled to the corner, and waited for the crossing signal.

His phone dinged popping bubbles. He read Renee's text as he walked to the other side.

"Things R going well, do U think the rest of our day will go without a hitch :)"

The ambiguity threw him off; he decided against an immediate reply.

He entered the store and walked down the lanes as if it was a maze.

After scanning the racks, Tie cornered a young man with a 'billy goat' beard, who was stacking Nice 'n Easy.

"Instant stain removers?"

The man groaned as he put down the box. He turned with hands on his hips, and then noticed the blaring red spot on Tie's Gucci. His eyebrows rose and his jaw unclenched as he let out a sympathetic "oh".

"Aisle thickth," he replied with a lisp due to the stud piercing in his tongue. He lead Tie down that aisle to present an empty shelf.

"I'll theck out back," he offered, and then ran away.

Tie took the opportunity to text back Renee. He evaded a direct response, like a guilty man on trial.

"Met ur mom, had a pleasant chat," he lied.

The salesman returned empty handed.

"Outta thtock till negtht week. Thorry."

Tie gave him a curt nod, and proceeded towards the exit. He admonished himself for squandering another ten minutes and moving another block further away. He vowed to focus on nothing else but getting to the Socony as fast as possible.

An ATM sat near the exit. He concluded it would be convenient and efficient to withdraw now for tonight's incidentals. Tie reasoned that this was a negligible delay, and therefore did not contravene the promise he had just made.

He queued behind a young woman in pink Lululemons.

Tie patiently watched as she deposited and withdrew money several times, as if changing her mind with every transaction.

On her sixth transaction, she turned to Tie and acknowledged her inconvenience with a bright grin. Tie maintained his furrowed glare, but managed to stretch his lips into a thin smile.

Upon completing her twelfth deed, Lululemon collected her purse and bags like an airline traveller at the baggage carousel, then ambled out of the store.

Tie marched to the ATM and inserted his card.

The machine ate it like a meal, and promptly declared itself 'out of order'.