21. The Rest Of The Day

Tie bounded from the men's room a new man. His navy blue suit was perfectly altered and pressed, with knife-sharp creases. Under it, he had an ivory Armani shirt and double windsored dusty rose silk cravat.

Sam handed him the small box.

"You clean up adequately," she complimented. She then snatched back the box, took the engagement ring off her finger, and re-inserted it. Her cheeks turned red.

Tie slipped it into his right pocket.

He was about to embrace his friends, when Renee entered the building.

She was wearing a white summer dress with pink flowers and her long light brown hair knitted into French braids. She looked like a princess.

"Quincy, there you are!" She ran over and hugged him tightly, "It doesn't look like you've had a bad day."

"Dearest, I'll tell you all about it over a glass of Chateau...something. My friends saved the day, this is Stella, Carl, John, and Sam," sighed Tie. His co-workers politely smiled back.

"And, I'm so glad you got to meet them before our wedding."

"Wedding?" asked Renee as if it was a foreign word. She leaned back, looked up at him, and fluttered her bright, wide eyes.

Carl slapped him on the back. John tapped Tie's pocket to remind him where the ring was, as Sam handed Stella a tissue.