Chapter 10 - Things They Always Change, Just Change

I HAVE INTERNET AGAIN

the word feis is pronounced fesh

and there is a picture of the dress in the side bar c:

-love you all, kiers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’M GETTING BETTER BUT IT’S IN SMALL STEPS!” Tj and I sang loudly along to my favorite the Wonder Years song, I Was Scared & I’m Sorry. We were driving from Bayside to New York City for the weekend. I had a Feis tomorrow and we were supposed to arrive at my mom's old apartment tonight. It was sort of nice she made dad still pay for the place. I sighed contently as we continued our drive. I bet right now, all of you are wondering what a Feis is; well, it's a Irish dance competition that normally takes place over the course of a few days. I’ve been an Irish dancer since I was able to walk on two feet. My mom was a dancer as well but my Gram made her quit when she was ten. As soon as my mom found out she was having a girl she planned to make me a dancer.

So here we are, pulling into the city on this Friday evening. Every light in the city was slowly turning on. Soon it would really be the city that never sleeps. I smiled to myself as Tj turned down the familiar street to mom’s old apartment. The building was an old, faded gray color with a small parking lot next to it. Tj pulled in and into the spot that said, ‘reserved for residents.’ The owner of the building wouldn’t mind us being here, he never did. I jumped out of the car, going to the trunk.

“Open it! I don’t want my dress getting wrinkled!” And with that, the trunk popped open. I quickly grabbed the flat, triangle shaped bag, and slid it over my shoulder. I made my way up the steps and opened the door, leaving it open so Tj could it. Since we both knew the elevator in the run down apartment was out of order I began my walk up the stairs to the second floor. I grabbed the key for the apartment out of my back pocket then opened the door. When you walked in, the apartment looked so out of place. There was one long black leather couch against the wall. On the wall hung a 40 inch flat screen with a coffee table in between. The kitchen has granite counter tops. Though it was a small kitchen, it looked so fancy. I loved being able to stay here, it was so much better than staying in some shitty hotel.

“Gee, thanks for helping.” Tj mumbled as he set down the three duffel bags; one that held his things, one that held mine, and my dance bag.

“Sorry, I just want want to get my dress hung up. If it’s wrinkled then I’m a bit screwed over.”

“I know, it’s fine. Go hang it.” He chuckled, understanding the dance world. He loves watching me dance. I think, if I could quote him he said ‘it’s like you’re flying.’ Probably from doing the jumps, leaps and kicks. I shrugged to myself as I headed to my mom’s old room. It resembled her teen self so much. There were pictures of her favorite bands like A Day to Remember and Mayday Parade all over the walls, along with just pictures of memories with her best friends, my dad and his friends, y’know, stuff like that. I set the bag on the twin bed and unzipped it, slowly sliding out my dress. It was a mix of black and blue with rhinestones across the chest area and down the sleeves. There was also a white design that reminded me of a tie. The skirt’s main color was that bright sky blue but there was also a black pattern along with it. The bottom part of the skirt was just plain white, which made it pop when I would dance. All in all, it was my dream dress.

I pulled out the hanger from the pocket in the bag and hung it up on the closet door so it could unwrinkle itself.

“Babeeeee!” Tj yelled from the living room.

“What?!” I yelled back, walking back and falling onto the couch. He plopped down next to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

“I ordered us a pizza. It’ll be here in about twenty minutes. Then, you need your rest. We’ve got a big day tomorrow.” He winked, pecking my lips. I giggled a little. I loved that he cared. It was awesome that he wasn’t one of those boyfriends who hate watching their girlfriends’ do things like this. Support from him always helped me do my best. Whenever he came, I got first in every category I danced in. Whether I danced in hard shoe or soft shoe, danced the Real or Blackbird, I always came out on top. I cuddled up to him, closing my eyes. Before I knew it, I was out cold without eating our delicious pizza.