Chapter 14: The Fall Musical

Marley: Skies are crying... I am watching... Catching teardrops in my hands...

I walked down the halls of McKinley feeling like a new person. So what if Ryder was dating a new gorgeous blonde? So what if John and I were no longer friends? So what if Sam was miles away and busy with his new life?

Marley: Only silence as it's ending... Like we never had a chance... Do you have to make me feel like there's nothing left of me?

I was a new person. Everyone could tell, as they watched me pass them by with a newfound confidence. 

Unique: You can take everything I have. You can break everything I am. Like I'm made of glass. Like I'm made of paper.

As I rounded the corner of the hall, I realized that at the end of that hallway was the beginning of my next journey.

Unique: Go on and try to tear me down, I will be rising from the ground. Like a skyscraper. Like a skyscraper.

I looked at the sing-up sheet for the school musical. There were so many names already. I flipped through the sheets on the clipboard and when I reached the third page I found the next blank spot and wrote: Juliet Vasquez.

Amity: Go run, run, run. I'm gonna stay right here. Watch you disappear. Yeah, oh.

I noticed that most of the glee club had already signed up, including Jake, who I had spent all weekend practicing a number with. I felt kind of bad for him. Sunday was his birthday and he spent most of the day with me.

Amity: Go run, run, run. Yeah, it's a long way down. But I am closer to the clouds up here.

After school, he suggested that we stay and watch the first few batch of auditions. We wouldn't be auditioning until Wednesday. Callbacks would be Thursday. And the castlist would go up Friday. We knew the usual drill.

Marley: You can take everything I have. You can break everything I am. Like I'm made of glass. Like I'm made of paper... Oh, oh!

And with Puck and Mike in town to help out, we thought we stood a pretty big chance. However, there was also the fact that we didn't know who was directing this play yet.

Unique: Go on and try to tear me down!
Amity: I will be rising from the ground...
Marley and Unique: Like a skyscraper...
Unique: Like a skyscraper...
Unique and Amity: Like a skyscraper...
Unique: Like a skyscraper...

We clapped for the three girls as they finished their auditions.

"That was awesome ladies," said Puck.

"Any preferences for the roles?" Mike asked.

"I'm going to be honest," said Unique. "There's pretty much no other girl you're gonna meet who can pull a Queen Latifah like me. John Trovolta may be in drag, but I'm black and I'm feisty and the perfect role for Unique is the role of Motormouth Maybelle."

Mr. Schue laughed. "Alright noted," he told her with a smile. "Ladies?"

"Any minor role," Amity said softly. She was still so shy.

"Are you sure?" he asked her. "You were great in the number and--"

"I think I'll have my chance to shine later," she told him. "But I just... It's not my turn yet, I just joined and umm... yeah..."

"And Marley?" asked Mr. Schue.

"I'll take anything that isn't Tracy," said Marley. 

I turned to Jake. "I take it you know about last year's Grease thing with Kitty?" I asked him.