Chapter 43: Project Popularity

"Rule number one," said John as he paced in front of Julie in her living room. "You do not get into a love triangle with two people in glee club. It's bad for the team and it's bad for the soul." She looked down to the ground with a frown. "Rule number two. If you do get into a love triangle, you do not involve Ryder into it. He is sensitive and he is fragile." Julie sighed, ready to tell him to stop. "Rule number three. If you do get Ryder into the love triangle," John raised his voice to force Julie to look up at him, "you DO NOT make the other party Jake. Marley. Best friends. Glee club. I can keep going."

"Please stop," she muttered, sighing. "Okay, can you do Bree instead?"

John groaned. "I really preferred Kitty," he told her. When Julie frowned, he sighed and said, "Fine. Okay, let me think... Oh, ok. You... little... slut!"

Julie couldn't help but laugh. "Okay now do Marley," she said. "I need someone who isn't insane."

John suddenly looked uncomfortable. "Julie..." he said. "She... She's been there before. I can't imagine her wanting to give her input."

Julie nodded, realizing he was right. "Okay, then, I guess do--" Before she could continue, her phone rang. "Oh, it's Ryder..." she groaned. "I forgot to call him back last night. I should take this."

"Don't!" John exclaimed. "Jules, just give it some distance and figure out what you want."

Julie gave him a look. "I know what I don't want," she made clear. "And I already told Jake before I asked him to leave. I don't want any trouble with him or Ryder or anybody. I'm not interested in dating Jake."

"What did he say to that?" John asked curiously.

"He just apologized and left," she explained. The phone stopped ringing and she sighed, obviously overwhelmed. "I don't know what I'm going to do about this," she added.

"Here's an idea," said John. "Don't do anything."

"How?" she asked. "I have to see both of them everyday."

"Jake," he said, "is not my favorite guy on the planet. Arguably, he's my least favorite guy. Regardless, I don't think he's a bad dude. I think if you were to just ask to pretend it never happened he'd go along with it and then hopefully get over it eventually. No one has to know. Nobody's feelings have to get hurt."

Julie considered this for a second. "So I just don't say anything..." she murmured.

"Exactly," he responded, nodding.

So she tried it. And it worked. At least until the end of the week.

"Hey," Jake said as he went up to her at the end of the school day. She was at her locker, exchanging some books for the weekend, when his voice startled her, making her drop several textbooks.

He helped her pick them up off the ground and looked up at her with a smiled. Jake gave her a weird look when she refused to make eye contact with him. As they stood back up, she softly responded, "Hi."

"We haven't really had a chance to talk since..." he went on as Julie put away her books. "Last week... I thought maybe tomorrow--"

Julie shut her locker and said, "I'm busy tomorrow. Bree is throwing Amity her birthday party at her place so--"

"Great," Jake responded. "We'll talk then."

Before she could protest, he turned swiftly on his heels and disappeared, out of sight. Julie sighed, unsure of what was in store for her.

***

"Hey man!" Ryder said as he arrived at Bree's house, gift in hand, and greeted Jake. He didn't really talk to Amity very often so he wasn't sure what to buy her, but Marley and Unique had sent out gift idea lists to everyone, sort of like a registry, and he'd chosen to get her a gold cross necklace. It wasn't very expensive, but it was nice and simple.