Chapter 82: Fly Away

When Will, Sue and Beiste walked into Principal Hallman's office, only the third seemed to be in a pleasant mood. They knew what this was about-- three of McKinley's most talked-about teams had interesting seasons this year and only one came out victorious.

"Will, Shannon," Principal Hallman began, turning to Sue and adding, "Coach Sylvester. I'd like to say it's nice to meet you but I'm not sure that's the case. I'd like to start by congratulating the football team on their state championship. The great pride McKinley athletics has received is unfathomable, really. And now, onto the bad part of this. Glee club and the Cheerios..."

Sue looked up scornfully at the way she said cheerios, as though it was a disease. 

"Let's begin with the Cheerios, shall we?" Principal Hallman continued. "Sue, your girls did well in the past so it was tolerated that they had low grades and overspent their budget every year. But this time around, they didn't win and... It pains me to say this, it really does, but we can't have a team that breaks so many moral clauses and loses..."

"What are you saying?” Sue asked.

Principal Hallman sighed, “I’m saying there won’t be a cheerleading squad next year.”

“What?” Sue and Will said together. Will panicked—this meant bad news for the glee club since they’d lost even more.

“With all due respect,” Beiste spoke up. “Cheerleaders have been a big part of the athletic culture. They attend every game and get the crowd pumped and—”

“And that was before your team became champions repeatedly,” Principal Hallman noted. “Beiste, now that you’ve gotten the Titans out of their losing streak, they won’t need frivolous girls parading in short skirts to get the crowd going. Your athletes will be enough.”

“This is outrageous!” Sue exclaimed.

“Now, Sue, don’t worry,” Principal Hallman said. “Your job at this school is still secured.”

“How?” Sue asked angrily. “You’re cutting my Cheerios!”

“You have several options,” Hallman went on. “You can have a teaching position—”

“Definitely not,” Sue said, shaking her head. “I need something where I can choose which kids I have to spend time with. Unless I can freely deny kids a spot in my classroom—”

“You can’t,” said Hallman. “Which is why we’ve come up with a second option. Co-directing a different club.”

“Oh gosh…” Sue said automatically.

“There’s the God Squad,” said Hallman. “It’s self-funded and currently student-run.”

“For a reason,” Sue scoffed. “I’ll pass.”

“The AV club—” Hallman began.

“Pass,” Sue said.

“Glee club,” Hallman said curtly. “Or maybe the drama—”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Sue stopped her. “The glee club is staying but the Cheerios aren’t. They’ve only won one year!”

“Yes,” Principal Hallman nodded, looking at Will’s shocked expression. “But see the New Directions are self-funded.”

“That was just for a year,” Will pointed out. “Sugar Motta is graduating this week and she—”

“A different donor has come in,” said Principal Hallman. “One of your students, who wishes to stay anonymous by the way. Otherwise glee club would also be cut.”