Chapter 78: Crazy

"Nationals," Joe wrote on the board, turning to the kids Mr. Schue-style. "What we need for every competition is... A classic... A contemporary... And... a wildcard."

"We have our classic," said Sugar as she paced the floor. "White Stripes, thank you John for finally giving a real suggestion last week."

"I'm here to help," John said, a smirk on his face.

"Our contemporary," Joe added, "which will be the country song."

"And we will do it justice," Shana chimed in, giving Julie a high five.

"And finally, the big group number," Sugar continued. "The wild card."

"And what exactly will that be?" asked Quinn from the door as she walked in with Sam and Finn behind her.

"You guys made it!" Sugar exclaimed, rushing over to hug them.

"We came here as soon as we flew in," said Finn. "My mom's going to be really pissed but I couldn't wait to see all of you."

"And to tell you that we've booked our flights to be able to go to Nashville with you all tonight!" she exclaimed. "Now that the Cheerios have lost Nationals--"

"--totally not Bree's fault," said Kitty, looking over at Bree, who the entire school knew had fallen while on top of the pyramid.

"--New Directions really has to bring it home for McKinley," Quinn finished.

"So how's the setlist looking?" Sam asked, looking around the room and avoiding eye contact with Julie, which she definitely noticed. Joe began explaining what they had planned and she made a mental note to talk about it later. But after school, there wasn't much time for discussion because shortly after Sam had walked in, Unique had struck up a conversation with her.

"Can I just be the first to say that it's nice to see you out of that devil costume?" she said. "I'm sorry for what happened with the Cheerios but I honestly think you're too good for them."

"Oi agree," Rory said, nodding. "They didn't really seem much loike yer or yer loike dem."

"I know I wasn't like them," Julie shrugged. "And I guess that was a good thing after all." She was glad that Kitty and Bree couldn't come to after school practice under Carrie's leadership-- seeing them was a terrible reminder of what had happened the previous week.

Shana walked into the room and said, "My hair is ruined!" 

Everyone turned to her, including Mr. Schue. "What's up?" he asked. She turned her head sideways, where a big, nasty, pink piece of gum was splattered onto her.

"Oh sweetie!" exclaimed Sugar as Shana sat down in front of her.

"Ok, we're going to need either peanut butter or oil," Quinn demanded as she took a seat next to Shana and examined her hair.

"How did this happen?" Will asked, ready to call Emma so that she could help.

"It's too much," Quinn muttered. "You may have to cut it off..."

"Oh no!" Shana shrieked. She turned to Will and said, "That Cheerio Michelle... She spat it into my hair."

"What?" exclaimed Julie. "Did you tell someone?"

"I did," Shana nodded. "But Michelle didn't get into trouble because she said it was an accident."

"We can't let this go on," Marley said. "Those girls have to pay for messing with us so much."

"So are the Cheerios tougher than the football players now?" asked Finn, confused.

"Way tougher," Ryder told him, nodding.