Chapter Three

My BB Bates *heart eyes*

"You'll win Everytime."

"I'm very disappointed in you Ellie." Henry said sending me a Stern look. Behind the faux temper I could see the lust. "We'll talk about punishment later. Right now, we have important news."

Roy and I sat patiently waiting.

"Your mother and I are going out of town." He said after a slight pause.

I let out the breath I was holding in relief. I loved when Henry went out of town. I slept better and Roy and I stayed out of each other's way.

I could tell that Roy was happy with the news as well. He sat with a smirk on his face, his eyes on his father.

"We expect the house to be in the same state as we left it when we return." Henry began his eyes raking over the two of us as if he could read our minds.

We both nodded in agreement.

"We'll be gone a total of three days." He continued walking around the room like some sort of war general. "We leave Friday morning. I expect you both to be present in school."

Again we nodded.

"Great. That is all." He dismissed us sternly and we both scrambled out of the room.

"So much for getting the princess in trouble. " Roy mumbled once we were out of earshot.

I shrugged knowing I was in more trouble that he could even imagine. "It doesn't pay to be a snitch." I said back.

Roy grabbed his keys off of the coffee table. "I'll be back." He said sending me a glare.

I stopped myself from asking him to stay. I didn't want to be alone with our parents. Especially with Henry. But I knew me asking him would be pointless.

Instead I walked up to my room and began to work on my homework. I had to keep my grades up if I wanted to get out of here. And I wanted nothing more than to get out of here.

I wasn't alone for more than five minutes when the door was pushed open and then silently closed. I didn't need to turn to know that it was Henry who had entered. Chills ran down my spine as I slowly set my pencil down on my desk.

"You know we have to talk about your punishment." Henry said when I finally lifted my gaze to him. "Delinquency will not be tolerated under my roof."

I tried to swallow the knot that had formed in my throat. "I was trying to-"

He held up a hand signalling for me to stop talking.

"Excuses will also not be tolerated."

My heart was beating out of control pounding against my chest erratically. Of course, I already knew what was going to happen.

He stared at me with an Impatient expression as if waiting for me to say something.

I simply lowered my head. "I'm sorry." I could feel my eyes beginning to fill and I forced the tears back. They would just make him angry.

"Apologies don't mean anything if you don't learn from them."

I heard the metal clank and recognized the sound of him removing his belt. I felt bile rise in my throat.

"Thirty lashes oughta teach you something."

~*~*~*~

The cold air whipped past my face as I ran. My hair was still damp from my shower and I was freezing, both inside and outside.

Henry had been rough, hurting me more than he normally did and leaving bruises down my back. He'd left my room with a sick smile on his face after 'punishing' me.

I'd cried for a while, because I needed to or I would explode. It didn't help my situation.

I heard my feet slapping on the concrete as I made my way to the park in my neighborhood. It was normally empty and I wanted to sit down. The rough winds were battering my skin and the tight long sleeved shirt and tights I had on were not protecting me. I didn't care. The cold made me feel clean and pure.

Once I arrived at the park I sat on a bench. I pulled my phone out texting Sky and letting her know about my parents plans for the weekend. I knew she would be excited.

I heard the sound of a stick breaking and quickly swiveled around.

I didn't recognize the person at first. They were clad in a puffy jacket and thick sweats. Their hair was covered by a black beanie and their face was lost behind the thick cloud of smoke coming from the cigarette that was clamped between their teeth.

I knew it was a male because of the body shape.

Surprisingly, I didn't feel fear. Maybe it was because the park wasn't dark, or maybe it was because I just didn't care. But I sent the strange man a smile as he walked past.

"Shit." He mumbled when his eyes landed on me. "Ellie Valentine?"

My eyes widened at his voice. He seemed young. And he knew my name. I narrowed my eyes at his face trying to recognize him.

He laughed at my expression. "It's Bates." He said with a smile. "Parker."

Of course it was. Because the Parker boys were surrounding me lately. I sent him a small wave. "What are you doing out here?" I asked, just trying not to be rude. I figured he'd come out to be alone like I had.

I was shocked when he sat down next to me. "My dad's getting on my nerves." He mumbled bringing the cigarette back to his mouth. He lowered his gaze. "Shit aren't you cold?"

I smiled. I liked Bates. He was young but he was way more mature than the other sophomores at our school. Even some of the seniors. Including his brothers. "Adrenaline." I said answering his question. The truth was I was freezing.

"My ass..." He said under his breath pulling his coat tighter around him. "What are you doing? Running?"

He was staring at me, trying to read my expression. "Yeah." I said nonchalantly starting to get up.

"hold up." He said reaching out and grabbing my hand holding me in place. "We could talk."

I snatched my hand back wincing as he came in contact with a bruise I didn't realize I had.

He followed my gaze and locked eyes on my bruise. "Ouch." He blew smoke out of his mouth. "How'd that happen?"

I shrugged. I knew how to make excuses. "Fighting with my brother over the remote. " I tried to give him an embarrassed smile. "It got out of hand."

He laughed while I panicked. It was a stupid lie, and it would be easy to unravel. All he had to do was mention it to Roy.

"TV must be a serious occasion in your house." He sent me a smile. "I'm assuming you won?"

I actually laughed relaxing my posture. "But at what cost?" I joked flexing my wrist.

He moved swiftly, gently grabbing my wrist in his hand, examining it. "I could show you how to protect your wrists. " He mumbled sounding almost like he was talking to himself.

I froze for a second just staring at him. He had one hand on his cigarette, the other clasped around my wrist. His brown hair was hidden under his beanie and his brown eyes were narrowed. Focused.

He looked back up at me. "When you wrestle with your brother." He explained. "You'll win Everytime."

I sent him a wide smile. "I might just take you up on that offer." I said before getting up and pulling my sleeve down to cover the bruise. "I'll see you in school."

I continued on my run. I had no intentions of wrestling with Bates Parker.