Chapter Seven

^Mal the Beauty

"Aunty flow making a visit today?"

The next day, I looked for Mallory before school started. I knew the Parker boys came to school early so that Rue could go to soccer practice. I started my search at the soccer fields.

Just as expected, Mal, Bates, and Kai were laid out on the benches passing a cigarette around. I stomped up to the spot they were at, wiping dust off of the seat before sitting down. "Guys." I said in a greeting.

Bates eyes lit up as he noticed me. "Hey, Ellie. What are you doing here.

I sent him a smile before freezing up focusing on his face. "What happened to you?"

His left eye was black, with a bruise trailing down his face  and stopping under his jaw. His upper lip also looked swollen. When he put the cigarette to his mouth he winced in pain.

"What? This old thing?" He asked with a smirk gesturing to his bruised face.

I slid closer to him, examining the damage for myself. "Oh my gosh, Bates."

It looked painful.

"He's fine." Kai mumbled swatting my hands away from his brothers face. "Next time he'll keep his guard up."

I widened my eyes. Next time?  "You're joking." When no one said anything I came up with my own deduction. "Bates, did you fight last night?"

He sent me a huge grin and I knew his mouth was throbbing. "Sure did. You should have been there Ells. I looked like a god."

I was mad. Rage went through my body so fast that I didn't have time to think. Before I could stop myself, I was whirling on Kai and Mal. "You guys let him fight?"

They both shrugged.

Bates narrowed his eyes. "Let me?" He snatched at the cigarette Mal offered. "These assholes don't let me do anything. They're not my fuckinh dad."

I ran my hands through my hair out of frustration. "Bates, look at your face." I said softly.

He looked offended. "You should see the other guy."

His brothers laughed as if he had just told the funniest joke.

"So this is a normal occurrence? You getting bashed in the head by some stranger?"

Again Mal and Kai were rolling with laughter.

Bates leaned in until our faces we're inches apart. "I won."

I lightly tapped his bruised cheek, watching him wince in pain. "Well if this is what winning looks like, you might want to change your profession."

When I stood up to leave Bates did as well. "Maybe you would have seen what winning looked like if you weren't too worried about your curfew."

Hearing the anger in his tone, his brothers stood up. "Chill Bates." Kai mumbled, placing a hand on his chest.

"Back off of me." Bates growled reaching to grab his backpack before stomping away.

I stared at his back as he walked through the soccer field and into the school."Well..." I said placing a hand on my chest.

   ~*~*~*~

I went out of my way to attempt to talk with Bates for the rest of the day. I practically stalked the kid around the campus. He went out of the way to avoid me.