Chapter Fourteen

"Maybe they're planning you a surprise party"

"Do you even have a license?" I asked from the passenger seat of the Parker's car. It was about four in the afternoon.

I was dressed in workout clothes, a tanktop and sweater with some joggers. My hair was in a high ponytail.

Mal had been the one to draw the short straw and come pick me up. He was driving back to the warehouse like a mad man on a mission. My hands clutched the seatbelt so tightly that my knuckles were pale.

Mal laughed swerving around a car and nearly tipping the small truck over as he made a sharp right. "What the hell kind of question is that? I'm eighteen years old."

I pursed my lips turning my head. "Not all eighteen year olds have licenses."

"All eighteen year olds who aren't pussies have a licence."

He blew past a yellow light just as it turned red earning a series of honks. "Not everyone who has a license deserves to have one." I mumbled. "That light was red."

Mal smiled widely. "It was yellow."He tapped his hands on the steering wheel as he merged onto the highway. The warehouse was located on the outskirts of town and it was about the farthest place from my house. It was about a thirty minute drive.

"Princess, I might be completely wrong but I'm beginning to believe that you are one of those eighteen year olds with no license."

I crossed my arm watching him cut off multiple cars as he took a quick exit. "You are completely wrong."

He was half wrong. I was seventeen.

"I could teach you, you know. I'm the best driver out of all of us."

My brows raised. "Well, that's saying a whole lot." I said sarcastically.

"I'm serious." He said, sounding excited now. "It'll be funny, watching you panic."

I stared at him. "Who says I would panic? And who says I don't already know how to drive?"

Quick as a snake, he reached out to grab my hand. I flinched, embarrassingly noticeably and he narrowed his eyes.

"What the hell are you doing?" I asked after a few moments of awkward silence. I didn't even care about the answer. Instead my mind was racing and I came to a simple, albeit painful decision. I needed to seperate myself from the Parker brothers immediately.

They weren't like my other friends. They noticed things that I wasn't used to people noticing. I kept messing up in front of them and they weren't stupid. Eventually they'd figure something out and my carefully thought out plan would go down the drain.

"Woah, calm down." He said placing his hand up in surrender. "I was going to make you take the wheel. What the hell was that?"

Play it cool.

"What? You scared me..."

"Yeah, I could see that. You practically jumped out of the window." He looked me up and down lingering on my face. "Are you good?"

I laughed. "Yeah, your driving just has me on edge. If it's all the same to you, I'm going to pass on the opportunity to steer."

He smiled again but this time it didn't reach his eyes. "Okay, but I'm still going to teach you to drive. I taught Bates and he's a champ. Much better than Kai."

Feeling myself sinking lower into the mistake that was the Parker boys, I simply nodded. "You get us to our destination in one peice and I'll think about it."