Chapter Nine

"It's not a place for girls. Especially you."

The days floated by and before I knew it, it was Friday. I woke up to the sounds of Henry yelling. I smiled to myself.

Henry was going out of town today.

I quickly got out of bed and took a quick shower. After hastily getting dressed I ran downstairs to have breakfast. I made sure to sweep the smile off of my face. I didn't want Henry to think I was too happy about him leaving.

I waited at the kitchen table for Sky to pick me up. Since Roy was suspended, he refused to wake up early and drop me off at school.

When I heard the horn honk, I slipped out of the front door quiet as a mouse.

"A hoodie? Really?" Sky said as soon I climbed into the front seat of her grey Range Rover.

I sighed. Same old Sky. "I was going for comfortable."

She actually rolled her eyes. "What was your brother smoking yesterday?"

I widened my eyes. "What do you mean?"

She turned her head eying me. "You haven't heard? It's all over Instagram."

I felt my cheeks redden. I didn't want to tell her that I had been grounded. Then she would want to know why. "I've been busy." I said. " I actually forgot my phone at home today. Can I use yours?"

She shrugged pulling her phone out of her pocket. I used my thumbprint to unlock it. I immediately saw what she was talking about. Everybody was talking about the fight between Roy and a senior named Shawn. I clicked on a video and watched as Shawn had two of his football friends hold Roy down as he delivered punch by punch.

"Oh, my gosh." I whispered underneath my breath. I scrolled to another video that had the full video. I watched Roy get a couple of punches in before Shawn had his friends grab him. He was yelling something but the volume was bad quality.

Then I read the caption.

#SiblingGoals

"Do you know what the fight was about?" I asked holding my breath for her answer. It was possible that Roy had been telling the truth. If that were true then I was going to feel really bad about what I said to him yesterday. If that were true, he might not have hated me as much as I thought.

Sky smirked. "Shawn was saying some very disrespectful things about Roy's baby sis apparently."

I felt my heart drop. All of a sudden, I felt like shit. I had never had anyone stand up to me and the first time someone did, I go off on them.

"Shit shit shit." I mumbled, unfastening my seatbelt when Skylar parked in our schools lot.

"What's the big deal?" Skylar asked narrowing her eyes.

I shook my head. "Nothing. I have to go call my brother." I walked off heading for the office leaving Sky looking confused.

It was the first time in my life I had ever called Roy my brother and meant it.

~•~•~•~•~•~

Roy wouldn't talk to me. I called him using the offices phone trying to apologize and he wouldn't hear it.

In addition to that, I was getting a lot of unwanted attention.Roy's fight had made me ten times more popular than I already was.

I decided to go to lunch detention during lunch because I knew Bates would be there

Walking into the room I noticed that the exact same people were in detention as the first time I was in there. Bates was sitting with his brothers seeming to be in a heated argument. When he saw me he widened his eyes. "Again Princess?" He said with a smirk.

I walked into the room. "I need to speak with you." I said under my breath. I didn't want the rest of the Parker boys to hear me.

"Sure." He said sarcastically.

"Better watch out." Kai said with a deep chuckle. "Her brother might be near here."

I sent him a slanted look. "Grow up Kai."

"I'd love to." He replied.

Tearing my gaze from him I put my attention back on Bates. "Can you get out of here?"

Bates grinned. "Sure, sure." He pushed himself up from the desk making his way towards me.

When we were out in the hallway, I stopped him. "So, what's the plan?"

He looked confused. "What plan?" He asked after a while.

"The plan for sneaking me into the warehouse tonight."

His eyes widened. "I already said no, Ellie. I'm not going to do it."

I frowned. "Why not?"

He shrugged, leaning against the wall. "Because, you don't need to be there. No one will be able to stay with you and it's going to be dangerous. It's not a place for girls. Especially you."

The 'especially you' part ticked me off. "What's that supposed to mean."

Bates looked serious now. "That you can not come. End of discussion."

I narrowed my eyes. "You can't stop me. And you being so weird about this is only making me more curious as to what you guys are doing in that warehouse."

He smirked. "You'll never find out. Is that all you wanted to talk about?"

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. I guess we'll do this the hard way. You wanna get lunch?"

He stared at me for a while before nodding.

We walked to the cafeteria in silence, each of us grabbing a bag of chips and a sandwich.

I guess we both mentally decided that we were going to take the food back to the detention room because that's where we headed. When we opened the door, his brothers were in the middle of another argument.

"If you take Kevin Durant out of the equation, what are you left with?!" Rue was saying, standing in Kai's face with a look of pure anger.

"The best team in the NBA." Kai said simply.

When they noticed us they all began to smirk waggling their eyebrows.

Bates shut them up with eight simple words. "Ellie's trying to sneak into the warehouse tonight."

The room went quiet. I turned to Bates with a shocked expression. I never took him for a snitch. "Wow." I mumbled.

Mal was the first to speak. "Absolutely not." He said sternly.

I sent Bates a dirty look as I took a seat behind Rue, across from Kai. I slowly unwrapped my sandwich. "What do you guys do?" I asked because they were all staring at me.

"None of your business." Kai said rudely as always. "It's not a girl thing."

I slowly nodded. "That's super sexist."

Mal cleared his throat. "You can't come tonight, Ellie. I'm serious."

And because I could tell he was, I decided to squash it.

"Fine." I said taking a bite out of my sandwich. "Keep your secrets."

********************

What are those pesky Parker boys hiding? 🤔🤔

#backlikeIneverleft