Waiting

Nia hated waiting

Nia hated waiting. It never seemed to end as she wondered how Bellamy was doing. There was no word about Lincoln and that worried her. But there wasn't anything she could do so she tried to focus all her attention on Fox being her second.

This is how she found herself in a small part of the camp looking up at the stars. She had released Fox a little early and decided to sit and sort out whatever thoughts that roamed her head.

A noised snapped her from her thoughts as she saw Raven making her way over. She wanted to tell her about how sorry she was but something was holding her back. She had observed her in a distance for awhile and knew the girl was putting up a strong front to cover up the pain, but if you looked in her eyes you could tell the difference. So she sat in silence as Raven made her way over.

Raven had sat a couple feet away from the girl. She had always wondered about Nia. The girl had a big influence over the warriors and she saw how she interacted with Octavia and Fox. It struck a spark of curiosity in Raven as the watched the girl who stared at the stars.

"Hey." Raven said not sure why she started a conversation.

"Hi." Nia said before the two fell into silence again. Nia felt the urge to sat something itch at her. So with the risk of the consequences she decided to speak up. "I'm sorry about Finn."

Raven was shocked for a moment as she thought over the horrific experience. But Raven was unable to form any words as they fell into silence again. It had hurt her too much to think about Finn but now she wanted a person to understand.

"Have you ever lost someone who was your best friend?" She asked in a quiet tone.

The question caught Nia off guard as she thought of the question. "I had many friends who I was close too during my life, most were taken in battle." She answered as truthfully as she could.

"Did any of them die the way he did?" She questioned again wanting to know an answer.

Nia shook her head as she thought of the way they died. "No." She said in a quiet voice. "I can't imagine how you must feel."

"How do you deal with all death, all the pain?" Raven in a broken voice that caused Nia's chest to clench. It would take some time for her to get over the guilt. She never liked the guilt feeling but have managed to deal with it.

"The first person I lost was my mother. My father was a true warrior took everything we believe seriously. My mother was the opposite. She was a healer who would've helped just about anyone. One day another clan had attacked one of our villages. So they left to fight." Nia began to explain while Raven's gaze hadn't shifted from the ground.

"Only my mother never came back. Our father told us that she was tending to a fallen warrior when one of the others sliced her throat from behind. My father never believed in tears so I tried to conceal all the pain I felt. The more of the pain I kept bottled up the more like my father I become." She paused her words as she remembered how it was so long ago.