Chapter Eight: The shift.

(Ember's pov)
"How could you have hidden that from us?" Lyla asks incredulously. I shrugged and hugged her glad to see she had recovered.

"I only opened the gallery and not the recordings on my phone, that was locked. I'd propped the phone on a hidden mantle and left it to record on most nights I was beat. Then I put them together in one big edit and had it flip after a minute to another time" I said sadly.

"Hey, it's over now" Lyla whispers and hugs me to her. I sniffle holding back tears. "Look on the bright side, you've got a new family and a mate." I groan inwardly.

"Yeah, he's gonna tear me away from everything... Not to mention I've got to evade a rogue King that wants me for god knows what reason-" I was about to say something when a sudden cracking sounded and a searing pain shot through me. I screamed.

"Shit! Mum! Dad! It's happening!" Lyla yelled. Another wave of pain hit me and I cried out as I fell to the floor as my legs gave out. I felt myself being lifted and soon found myself outside. More of my bones cracked as the moon shone tauntingly over head. I glared. Why am I shifting now?!

"Fuck you!" I screamed at the moon as I was now on my hands and knees with fur sprouting from me. I felt a pushing in my mind that turned into a itch, scratch and finally a clawing sensation in my head. "What the fuck?!" I screamed as I felt my face elongating along with my teeth and ears. I felt hair extend on my neck.

"Ember! Don't fight it! She'll kill you!" Cole's voice worriedly rang through the woods.

"What are you on about?!" I screamed it was more like a growl but right now I gave no fucks as my back arched and my spine snapped. I lay there on the ground panting heavily.

"You're ok, it was you're wolf, try standing" he told me. I shakily stood and found myself looking through my own eyes but I was being helped. That's when I felt her. My wolf. She yipped happily and gave me back control as I padded over to Cole, rubbing my head in his palm.

'I've got an idea, wanna go see if we can catch some meat?' I growled out at the thought of a fresh kill. Wow... I watched as Cole and Dom shifted with Serena and Lyla.

I ran off through the forest, receding and sitting back as my wolf sped through the forest. Our paws pounded on the dirt and we howled out happily as the scent of blood hit our nose. She wanted blood. As did I.

We crept through the undergrowth and found some deer lazily grazing. Without hesitation we jumped and tore into the neck of our unsuspecting prey. 'C'mon guys!' I linked them and simultaneously we all ran at the deer and tore into them leaving bloody carcasses and the scene of death behind us....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I step out of the shower, fresh and cleansed. I braided my wet hair and dried myself. I open my wardrobe and dress in black underwear, black shorts and a vest. I pull on a pair of running shoes and head downstairs. The smell of bacon and eggs hit my nose and my wolf howls out in hunger.

I walk into the kitchen of the pack house and Dom hands me a plate. "Thanks" I say and giddily took in. The best part of being a wolf? Eating whatever the hell I wanted and burning it off.

I hear the sound of a plate dropping and look up to see Dom staring at me. "What? Is the something on my face?" I ask. He inhales and I watch as his eyes go black. "Dom... What's up?" I stand and put my stuff in the sink.

"You're blood, it's alpha blood"'he murmurs. "That's rare, for a human to survive and become an alpha female, wow and you're eyes stayed purple during you're shift usually they turn black when you're wolf surfaces... Are you're eyes always that alight?" He asks. I nod.

"I was born with them, as for why my wolf has my eyes I don't know, are mum and dad home?" I ask. He nods.

"Dads in his office with mum, our aunt and uncle are coming over with their daughter Claire she's twelve newly shifted Max is older he's fifteen he's the next alpha of the Summer Rose pack. He's a fighter so if he asks you to brawl I suggest you turn em down" Dom and I both laugh at that.

"Why are they coming over?" I ask. I feel my wolf roll her eyes in my mind. She knows the answer but I don't. Great.

"They're coming to meet their new niece. When you joined the pack we felt it but so did those related to us. I got a letter from Claire, she can't wait to meet her cousin and I quote 'Ember will totally kill Max in a fight he's such a whiney bitch!'" I burst out laughing at that.

"She sounds like quite the character." I sat smiling lightly.

"Oh, she is" Serena walks in with the others as Dom starts handing out more plates. "Twelve, and she already spars with warriors who are well older than her and seasoned to" she adds my jaw drops.

"Wow. When are they coming?" I ask.

"Should be here now" she says and that's when chatter floods the pack house living room. Many pack members had cleared out to patrol or do daily chores to it was just me and my family home.

Time to meet the relatives... I hope I don't screw it up...