CHAPTER FIVE

A/N: Sorry for the late update everyone. Life has been crazy. Thanks to all of those who favorite/followed/reviewed Mine to Take. Very much appreciated. Keep it coming!

CHAPTER FIVE

The town was small and quaint, filled with modest homes and simple shops. If the sun had been shining, it would have looked like a postcard come to life. The inn was easy to find and the elderly woman at the front desk looked to be half blind the way she was squinting at the book she was trying to read. The dark, long sleeved dress and the way she had her grey hair pulled into a bun made her look like a strict and intimidating school teacher. However, the illusion quickly dissolved when she looked up at the sound of the door opening and she immediately began to fuss over the crimson stain on Yuna's clothes.

"Good heavens, your arm!" she exclaimed, forgetting about her book as she hustled off to retrieve a fluffy, white towel. "What happened?"

"Oh, this? It's nothing. We encountered a few rouge shinobi while heading towards our destination. I'm just glad we made it to this inn," Yuna answered, unzipping her pack that was hitched onto Boruto's shoulder and pulled out her wallet. "We'd like a room please."

"Certainly, certainly!" the elderly woman quipped, handing her the towel before she counted out the fee for a night's stay.

Boruto reached for his wallet, but Yuna stopped him. "My treat."

"I can pay my—" he began

"Don't worry about it."

"Yuna, really—"

She didn't let him finish. "Look, I get it. You don't want to feel like you owe anyone anything. And you don't, at least not to me. Besides, we're partners aren't we?"

Boruto still looked hesitant so she added in a gentler voice, "Please, I want to pay."

The taller teen sighed and put his wallet away as if the whole thing was more trouble than it was worth.

Yuna smiled, partly because she had won the fight.

"You two sound like an old married couple," the innkeeper said as she handed Yuna back her change. "And I should know, because my husband-Godbless his soul-and I talked like that to each other for 55 years."

Boruto flushed bright scarlet and glanced quickly at Yuna, who was smiling benignly at the innkeeper.

"You think? Yuna laughed as she slid her change back into her wallet. "He's a bit of a grump and refuses to take me out on a date."

Boruto rolled his eyes. This girl sure was adamant about that date.

"Poor thing," she said sympathetically. "Any man would be lucky to get a beautiful girl like you. Come now, I'll show you to your room."

She pulled a key out of a small drawer in her desk and turned down the hall with a flutter of her dark skirt. She stopped at the last room on the right and opened it so they could step inside.

"Call me if you two need anything," the innkeeper said as she handed the key to the blond haired man. The door closed and he could hear her footsteps hurrying back to the front desk.

Boruto switched on the small bedside lamp and looked at his surroundings and noted that even though the room was small it was at least clean. The floral printed quilt on the bed looked to be handmade and a watercolor painting of the ocean adorned one wall. The place was a little too quaint for his tastes, but he was grateful they didn't have to sleep outside.

Yuna plopped on the bed and pulled off her sandals, wiggling her toes and trying to ease her tired feet.

"You can take a shower first," Boruto said as he stripped off his pack and set it on the lone chair in the room. "After that I'll bandage your arm."