CHAPTER ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Clean white walls greeted her the moment she woke. She hated hospitals and clinics. She hated the smell of antiseptic, hated the unwelcoming sterility of such overly sanitized environments, and she really, really hated doctors.

Since lingering effects of chakra exhaustion still remained, Shizune insisted the kunoichi stay at the hospital for the next few days much to Yuna's dismay.

Three days had gone by since the incident and Ataru was keeping her at arm's length. He'd worked late again last night at the hospital, arriving after she'd fallen asleep and leaving before she woke. He always seemed just beyond her grasp. She searched for anger, but her heart just ached with sadness and regret.

They had to talk about what went down at some point, but it wasn't going to be an easy conversation.

Ataru brought their father a clean pair of clothes for the morning. They didn't speak. As if compelled by some magnetic force, her gaze kept drifting his way. If he sensed it, he didn't show it, his focus seemingly undeterred. If he had wanted to talk, what would she have said anyway?

Another two days had passed, everything had been matter-of-fact between them. But she could sense his hesitation, the strain that came through with the short delivery of every word, the careful avoidance of her stares as she silently begged him for more. A look, a touch, anything to let her know they were okay.

Too wiped out to push him, she simply went through the motions. She hated not knowing what he was thinking, and a part of her was afraid of what he'd say if she dared ask. She needed to believe that they'd get through this, that there was a light at the end of this tunnel. Her father knocked on the door, interrupting her thoughts. When she turned her head to the side, he gave her a warm smile, before he gingerly took a seat beside her.

"Was she mad?"

She already knew the answer, but she couldn't help asking.

"A little," he admitted.

"Just a little?"

"I'm pretty sure she Shukaku'd the hospital room after I left."

Yuna closed her eyes, imagining the scene. "Did you tell her that I was fine?"

"Of course I did. And I made sure to tell her that you wouldn't be that careless again." He reached for her hand and squeezed it gently. "She'll get over it. She always does."

Yuna nodded. In the silence, she could feel her dad studying her.

"I'm sorry you can't go home today," he said. His tone was soft and apologetic. "I know how much you hate it here."

"It's fine," she said automatically. Surprising herself, she realized that as much as she'd been trying to convince herself otherwise, she was telling the truth. "It's a reminder that I was reckless. On a more positive note, I gotta pretty sweet tattoo out of it." Yuna lowered the collar of her shirt to reveal a seal in the shape of a star over her heart.

"Four years of stored chakra gone," she said with a sigh. "But now that I know the after effects of this technique I think I have a better understanding on how to perfect it so I won't be in the same predicament as I am now."

"What do you mean?"

She held up three fingers. "Three chakra pools," she said. "Right now I only have one, but if I put my mind to it and train harder, I think I can create up to three."

He stroked his chin thoughtfully and said, "Giving you the ability to use Napalm Fist multiple times."

"Exactly."

He beamed. "That's brilliant. I can't believe I never thought of that."

She paused for a beat.

"Um," she pressed the tips of her index fingers together. "Do you think maybe when I'm back on my feet and you're not so busy with work that you can help me train more with using Flare Style?"

Her father's eyes were wide with disbelief. "Really?"

She nodded. "Really."

Her father jumped up from his seat and pumped an enthusiastic fist into the air, emphasizing his excitement before engulfing her in a bear hug.