CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

A/N: O.o I'm generally surprised I got this out as quickly as I did. So yay! Thanks for all the amazing reviews/follows/favorites. It means so much. Thanks also to the ones who messages me with ideas for one-shots. I've written them all down and soon I will be releasing them. :)

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"You do realize if he finds out that you confronted Konoha's diamond kunoichi without his permission, he's gonna be pissed, right?"

"Shut up, Enma." the silver haired woman snarled at him.

Enma gazed at her face as she paced the room like a caged predator.

"Don't take this out on me," he said. "You're the one who almost jeopardize two years of planning."

"How foolish can he be," she scoffed. "If he thinks for one minute that girl can make him happy, he's very much mistaken. He has needs-needs she cannot possibly begin to satisfy," she gloated.

"What do you know of his needs?" A loud voice boomed from behind them and rounded the corner, laughing.

The two shinobi turned to their green-eyed companion.

The silver haired woman narrowed her eyes.

"Mind your own business, Daigo. If I-"

"Mai." Ataru's implacable, furious voice startled them. Three heads swung rapidly to where Ataru stood on the threshold of the room. He was glaring at Mai, who paled.

"Told ya..." Enma muttered.

Time seemed suspended as they collectively took a deep gasping breath, and Ataru stalked deliberately into the room. His eyes blaze with fury, never once leaving Mai, until he stood before her. Mai's eyes widen in alarm, and Ataru slapped her hard across the face, the sound of the impact resounding off the walls of the large room.

"The next time you pull a stunt like that again, I will personally kill you myself—understood?" he hissed through gritted teeth.

Mai clutched her reddening cheek and stared in horror for a moment, shocked and blinking at Ataru. Then she hurried from the room, not bothering to close the door behind her.

Ataru turned slowly to face Enma and Daigo and a tense silence settled like a thick blanket over them as they stare at each other. After a beat, Enma spoke.

"I warned her not to do it, Boss, but she wouldn't listen," he held his hands defensively.

"She's a risk," Daigo piped up. "She lets her emotions cloud her judgment. I say we kill her now."

"You know we can't do that. At least not right now."

"She could have jeopardized the mission, Ataru." His disbelief is evident. "We spent two years building this place back up and for what? So she can go out there and chat up your girlfriend and risk leading them to our location? We're wanted fugitives. And I don't know about you, but I enjoy my freedom and I'm not about to let some whore ruin it all."

"Leave the room," Ataru pointed to the door, and Daigo obeyed his command.

"As many times as I've seen you use that ability, it never gets old." Enma chuckled.

"Keep a sharp eye on those two. I don't need them killing each other before I get my hands on what I want." Ataru told him.

"You got it, Boss."

~MINE TO TAKE~

Boruto walked into town to search for the perfect ring, a perfect ring for the perfect woman. He searched store after store for something that spoke to him. Just as he was ready to give up, his patience finally paid off. After searching through the various cuts, sizes and arrangements he finally found one that spoke to him. It was a three stone engagement ring, with three side by side princess-cut stones, surrounded by rows of brilliant round stones, and it was absolutely beautiful. He knew the moment he saw it that it was perfect for her, and it was confirmed for him when he remembered the meaning behind the three stone ring. The three stone rings were meant to symbolize the past, present and the future, as well as friendship, love and fidelity. It was the perfect ring, and he knew she would love it.