CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

A/N: Hey everyone! Welcome back to another installment of Mine to Take! This is a super duper long chapter over 6000 words. I didn't want to break this chapter down into two parts. Thanks to all those who've reviewed, favorited and followed Mine to Take. I appreciate each and every one of you. Please, please keep the feedback coming.

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Teal eyes narrowed anxiously at the six masked shinobi. She had assumed she would run into Ataru at some point during the mission, but was she didn't account for was a group of shinobi attempting to kill her.

"Well, this is certainly unexpected," Yuna finally spoke. "May I ask why?"

"To finish what should have been done long ago; the extinction of the Hoga clan."

Yuna scoffed. "I'm assuming you all are from the Katayama clan? Does the village leader know about the treason you're about to commit against Konoha?"

"No, and he never will." she said as she removed her mask. The others followed suit.

"My name is Tsuru. I'm-"

"I don't care who you are." Yuna said cutting her off mid-sentence. "Do you realize what you're doing? If you intend on going through with this you will be setting us up for war. My mother has broken no laws. She's innocent."

The masked woman tilted her head to the side. "And what of you, Yuna Katayama? Are you innocent?"

Yuna stiffened. "I'll admit, I'm not perfect. There were times where I went behind my parents back and used my ability for selfish intentions. I'm not proud of that, but things are different now."

"Doubtful," she scoffed. "Your actions mirror those of Kogorō Hoga, your grandfather."

"Can't really say, I've never met the guy." Yuna shrugged, and pulled out the tessen fan that Boruto had given her. "But I'm through chit chatting. I'm not on trial here and I don't need to explain myself to cowards such as yourselves!"

With the tessen fan, Yuna sent several blades of wind towards her opponents. Their honed reflexes allowed them to dodge easily.

"We will not allow history to repeat itself!" She declared loudly while making a series of hand signs. After the completion of the hand signs, Tsuru lowered her arm to point at Yuna, mimicking a gun with her fingers. She then generated a sphere of maroon-colored energy and shot it towards Yuna.

"Flare Release: Light Ray!"

Yuna's eyes widened and she made a few quick hand signs before slamming her hands to the ground, drawing the carbon up from the earth beneath her, and enclosing her and Ataru inside a dome.

"You can't hide in there forever. You're bound to run out of oxygen at some point!" Tsuru shouted.

Yuna ignored her, but deep down she knew she had a point. She shook her head to concentrate on the task at hand. She needed Ataru to release his hold on Ryōgi and Jiro-sensei if she planned on getting out of this alive...that is even if he was still alive.

"Ataru?"

Her voice echoed unnaturally in the vastness of the dome as she cautiously made her way to his side. He was face down, motionless even as she knelt next to him and shook him gently. Icy dread wormed through her stomach like a malicious parasite as she gently rolled him over.

She pressed her fingers to the base of his throat, feeling for a pulse. At first she didn't feel anything. Then the soft, reassuring thump of a pulse bumped against her fingertips.