CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

A/N: Hey everyone! Welcome back to the next installment of Mine to Take. This is a very large chapter and I hope it's to your enjoyment. Thanks to all those who reviewed/favorite/followed Mine to Take. As always I appreciate it and love to hear what you all have to think. :) Please keep it coming.

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

"No!"

Blood spurted from her father's neck as his powerful heart forced it from the gaping wound. He clutched his throat tightly and collapsed helplessly onto his back.

Yuna's heart slammed in her chest, and she rushed to his side and tried to pry his fingers off the wound, but they were like steel bands.

"Daddy, let go." Yuna repeatedly ordered. Her father was heaving for breath as she was trying her best to remain calm and held her hands over his neck, attempting to stop the flow of blood. "I can't get it."

She removed her hands from his neck and grabbed his hand, placing it firmly against the gaping wound. "Daddy, hold it there. Hold it tight." Her father gazed into her eyes, full of fear and nodded lightly.

Before Yuna had a chance to remove her scarf around her waist, Ataru picked up the bloody blade and squatted on his haunches beside her and said, "Oh man, it looks like he's in a lot of pain. Tell him everything's going to be okay, that it's not as bad as it looks."

Yuna shook her head fiercely.

Ataru frowned at her and pushed her head down towards her father. "Do it now, he needs your support!"

"Please," she wailed, and placed her head gently against her father's arm. "Don't let him die. Please."

"I gave you an opportunity to leave, but you chose to defy me, and now you must face the consequences."

Yuna's eyes widened and she turned to face him. She was so mad at him, her anger was palpable—a dark entity threatening to choke her.

"YOU were a SON to him!" she cried, beating her fist against his chest. "He took you in when you had no one! It's thanks to him that you had food on the table, a roof over your head!"

For a moment, neither of them spoke. They simply glared at each other with so much anger that the daggers flying between them were nearly visible.

Then in a desperate, broken voice, Yuna said, "I'm begging you Ataru. Save him. I'll do whatever it is that you want of me, but please, don't take my father from me."

His gaze darkened, growing bolder as he assessed her response. After what seemed an eternity, he spoke.

"Choose me then, Yuna. Choose to be mine."

Yuna nodded and swallowed. "Okay."

"Okay?" He leaned over her, glaring.

"Yes, Ataru. I'm yours."

"Do you mean that?" he snapped.

"Yes."

Ataru grinned with easy arrogance, knowing that his victory with her was assured.

"Good girl." His eyes burned into hers. "Stand over here." He pointed to a spot beside him. "Do it now."

Yuna did as instructed, and he knelt down beside her father. She watched Ataru's hands move over his throat, His eyes closed as he probed her father's body with his chakra.

Oh. She felt so impotent. Her mouth was dry, and she felt faint. Please, let Daddy be okay, she prayed silently.

"I stopped the bleeding. He'll live." he said, dispelling his chakra and opening his eyes. "We need to leave. We've wasted too much time here."