CHAPTER NINE

A/N: Sorry for the late update everyone. I know I promised it over the weekend, but things got in the way. I'm honestly surprised at the feedback on the last chapter and how some of you had messaged me and reviewed to get these out quicker. Lol. I'm trying, so bear with me. With work/family/gaming...it gets busy. Thanks for all the love and support. I appreciate each and every one of you. Anyhoo, enjoy a super duper long chapter.

CHAPTER NINE

Holy fuck.

He's here, gazing at her with a smug look on his face, holding her mother by her throat. Her subconscious swooned into a dead faint, and she didn't think even smelling salts would bring her back.

She blink repeatedly at Ryuuji as her mind went into overdrive. How did he get in? Where's Dad? Holy shit! Where is Dad?

A creeping cold fear gripped her heart, and her scalp prickled as each and every follicle on her head tightened with terror. What if he'd harmed him? She started breathing rapidly as adrenaline and bone-numbing dread coursed through her body. Keep calm, keep calm—she repeated the mantra over and over in her head.

It felt like an eon had passed while she processed all this, though in reality it was only a split second. Ryuuji's expression remained smug, and his chakra felt different from their last encounter, more ominous and stronger than ever before. The intense blue eyes he once had were now mismatched. A pupil less lavender eye had replaced one of his own. Her eyes drifted to his chest where she noticed a circular device attached to the center of his chest and a gauntlet attached to his right forearm.

Yuna's breath caught in her chest at the discovery.

Despite the fact that her mouth had no moisture in it whatsoever, she attempted to speak. "Ryuuji, right? What're you doing here?" She rasped. He smiled, but it was a disturbing curl of his lip rather than a true smile.

"I was in the area. It's not often I get turned down by a woman or anyone else for that matter. Thought I'd stop by and see if you'd reconsider my offer."

His voice was warm and smooth, betraying him as someone far more sophisticated than the brainless thugs she was accustomed to dealing with.

Yuna wondered, not for the first time, if she was severely in over her head in trying to take on this man.

She didn't answer his question but simply inched her hand to the kunai pouch strapped on her thigh, but came to an immediate stop when Ryuuji tightened his grip around her mother's throat, letting a small gasp of pain escape her lips.

"Easy there, little kunoichi. Let's not do anything rash, shall we?"

Before she could muster a reply, she heard a familiar voice behind her.

"Well, lookee here." The large bandit from one of her previous missions emerged from the hallway. His appearance was as scruffy and ill-kempt as ever. He was still wearing that grubby shirt, and he looked desperately in need of a shower. Her hair was greasy and lank, plastered against his head. He ambled toward Yuna, oozing arrogance and hate. Her heart rate spiked.

"Where's my father?" She stammered, her mouth so dry she could hardly form the words.

"First things first, bitch," The bandit sneered, coming to a halt in front of her. She could practically taste his contempt. And from nowhere he lashed out, delivering a swift punch to her gut. Yuna clutched her abdomen and collapsed to the floor, the wind knocked from her.

"That's for last time, you fucking bitch!" He screamed.

"Yusei," Ryuuji frowned. "That's enough."