CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

A/N: Hey everyone, welcome back to another installment of Mine to Take. Thanks to all those who took the time to review and have kept up with this story from the beginning. It means a lot. It really does.

Rated M for Mature.

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Yuna was awakened by the bedroom door opening. Though she was practically silent, the fact remained that it was hard to sneak up on a shinobi. She heard Kaneko place something down on the table beside her before covering her with the duvet.

She turned to her with tired eyes. "Kaneko-san." Her voice was hoarse from sleep.

"Good morning, Yuna-sama." She said quietly. "I know you don't like me doing this-but I brought you some tea."

"Thank you."

She sat up and reached for the tea, drinking it down too quickly. It's delicious, warm, and it made her mouth a much better place. Kaneko smiled at her.

"What?" Yuna asked.

Kaneko shook her head. "I'm just glad you're drinking something, darling."

Yuna smiled weakly at her.

"Can I persuade you to eat something, Yuna-sama?" Kaneko asked. Yuna shook her head.

"I'm not hungry, thank you." Kaneko pursed her lips but said nothing.

"Neh, Kaneko-san," Yuna's voice was soft and hesitant. "How long have you been working for Ataru?"

Kaneko tapped her finger to her chin as if thinking about that. "If I had to guess, I'd say a little over a year now."

A year?!

"I see," she whispered. "So you've been his slave for that long?"

"I would hardly call myself a slave, dear. I'm indebted to him. We all are."

"We?"

There's a sharp knock on the door that made her jump. Ataru came into the room, glaring at both of them. She swallowed and glanced quickly at Kaneko, who was smiling benignly at Ataru.

"Good morning, Ataru-sama." she said.

"Leave us."

"Of course." she bowed politely and left the room.

"I will not stay in a place with slaves."

"Oh, now you're just being sanctimonious. Kaneko-san and her son were on the streets starving, begging for food when I came across her. I simply offered her an opportunity and she took it."

Yuna sighed, her wary look returning.

"See? Some of us give people a second chance."

"You're hardly deserving of a second chance, Ataru. You manipulated dad. You made him slit his own throat."

Ataru rolled his eyes. "And thanks to me he lived."

"Fuck you, Ataru. He did not deserve that."

"Mind your language," he growled. "Get cleaned up. There are a few people I would like you to meet."

Yuna glared mutinously at him.

"Yuna," he warned.

"Fine, but I'd like some privacy," she said, her voice flat and empty as she left him standing in the bedroom.

Cringing, she found the strength to get on her feet. Her movements were far from spry as she walked to the bathroom. Her muscles were stiff, and a dull headache throbbed behind her eyes.