Chapter 5

I don't know about you, but I really want Jerrie to get together soon ...

A few weeks later

It had only been two hours since Perrie had left for work this morning, but Jade was already bored out of her mind. The all-too familiar dull ache had settled in her chest, and Jade knew it was because she missed Perrie. Because now Perrie's side of the bed was cold when Jade woke up, and the feeling of their legs tangled together, bodies pressed against each other's as they slept was only a distant memory. But that memory was fading, like a picture being folded and unfolded too many times, and Jade feared it would soon vanish altogether.

 Jade looked forward to her physical therapy appointments now more than ever. It was a time when Perrie had her attention focused on Jade, and Jade alone. It was too short a time, only about an hour each week, but Jade treasured every second of them. Jade had never known the effects of withdrawal syndrome before, but every feeling she felt around Perrie was new territory. She didn't understand all of them, but she began to crave the blonde beauty more than ever. 

Every smile, every word, every touch set Jade's body on fire. Perrie was different, terrifyingly different. Jade was afraid of breaking the fragile rhythm she'd settled into with Perrie, but she couldn't stand living with only limited contact from Perrie forever. It was at times like these, that Jade would let her feelings consume her. She would sit on the couch, pulling apart flower after flower from Perrie's garden. As the weather steadily grew warmer, Jade would sit on the swing on the front porch, and do the same thing until it was time to pick Lily up from day camp. 

Then, when Perrie would arrive home, she would smile that special smile reserved for Jade. It made Jade's day worthwhile just to see Perrie's blue eyes light up when she smiled at Jade. After that, however, Perrie's attention was focused solely on Lily. Jade couldn't blame her, but it was like she wasn't even there. Jade faded into the background, and more often then not, she found herself eating a pre-heated meal for dinner in her room, listening to Lily's joyful laughter float down the halls and slip under her closed door.  

She loves me. She loves me not. This was the game Jade played with herself, allowing herself to dissolve into wild fantasies about Perrie. Fantasies Jade knew would only exist within the space of her head, but they brought some peace to her otherwise raging mind. Not being able to go to work was slowly killing Jade, because she had nothing better to do than sit and pull apart flowers like a child. It was the only way Jade was coping with her growing feelings. 

One particularly muggy summer afternoon, Jade was sitting on the front lawn, under the big old maple tree, attempting to slip into a light nap. Her glasses had fallen down to the tip of her nose, flower petals scattered around her as her eyes fluttered shut. It's quite relaxing, laying here in the shade, Jade thought idly. Just as she was about to drift off, her phone started buzzing and dinging. Jade opened one eye to peer at her phone screen. 

4:00 p.m. - Time to go pick up Lily

Jade frowned as she slowly sat up, unlocking her phone and silencing it as she sat up and dusted flower petals off her. So much for sleeping. Jade slowly got up and grabbed her book, pushing her glasses up onto the bridge of her nose again. Jade's phone started buzzing again, and she sighed. "What could it possibly be-?" Jade's rant to herself was cut off when she looked at the name on her phone screen.

Perrie❤️ is calling you

Jade quickly accepted the phone call, her heart racing. What could Perrie possibly want that was so important that she had to call Jade in the middle of the afternoon?

"Hello?"

Perrie's angelic voice floated through the phone, and Jade found herself smiling in spite of herself. "Hi Perrie," Jade replied, closing her eyes and opening them again. "So, I called to let you know that I'm off work early today and I'll be picking up Lily at camp. I'm on my way there actually," Perrie spoke through the phone. "I hope I haven't caused any trouble."

"None at all," Jade replied, then her heart stopped when she remembered something. "Perrie, didn't I have a physical therapy appointment with you today?" She asked, holding her breath. She heard Perrie give a nervous laugh over the phone. "Um, about that. Can I talk to you when I get home?" Perrie replied over the phone, and Jade's fear only increased when she realized how uneasy Perrie sounded. "Okay," Jade said shakily, then she hung up, not waiting for Perrie to reply. 

Jade quickly moved inside Perrie's house, clutching her book and her phone. What could Perrie need to tell me? Jade wondered as she put her book away on the bookshelf. She heard the door open and close, making her jump. "Jade?" Perrie called, her beautiful voice echoing through the house. "Coming," Jade called back, fixing her bedhead before exiting her room, before realizing she had her glasses on. Perrie had only ever seen her with contacts in. Jade's glasses were her secret shame, and she didn't want Perrie to ever know about them. 

Jade turned to go into the bathroom, but two pale arms snaked their way around Jade's waist, making her turn around to face Perrie. "Hi," Jade breathed. "Hey, I didn't know you had glasses!" Perrie said, moving a hand to poke one of the frames. Jade giggled, gently pushing Perrie's hand away from her glasses. "You look cute," Perrie laughed, walking into the living room, leaving Jade to feel her flushed cheeks.

The effect this woman had on her!

Jade trailed behind Perrie into the living room, seeing Perrie sitting on the plush couch. "Come here," Perrie beckoned Jade closer. "What did you want to talk to me about?" Jade asked, sitting down next to Perrie. "Um, before I start, please promise me you'll stay here," Perrie said, laying a hand delicately on Jade's thigh. Jade's heartbeat sped up, her eyes locked onto Perrie's crystal blue eyes swimming with sincerity. "I promise," Jade whispered before realizing what she was saying. 

"Thank you," Perrie said, leaning back, obviously relieved. "So?" Jade prompted. "Oh! Yeah, um. Well, I kind of, I'm sorry!" Perrie exclaimed. "Slow down, what did you do?" Jade asked. "I'm not your Physical Therapist anymore!" Perrie cried. The world slowed and stopped. "Wait ... what?" Jade said. "I switched you back to your normal Physical Therapist. That's why I left before our appointment today," Perrie replied, her eyes not meeting Jade's anymore. 

"Why?" Jade asked, her eyes filling with tears. "I never see you anymore, except for my physical therapy appointments! Do you really want to stay away from me that badly?" She said, her voice quieting to a whisper. "No! Please Jade, I'm sorry," Perrie said, holding her arms out. Jade longed to fall into them, but she stood up instead. "If you really were sorry, you wouldn't have gotten rid of me," Jade scoffed. "You know what, fine. I've put up with you ignoring me for weeks. If you really don't want to see me, I'll be out of your life for good."

Jade ran out of the room, ignoring Perrie's pleas to stay. Jade carelessly threw things into her bag, slung it on her shoulder, and grabbed her crutches as she limped to the front door where Perrie was waiting for her. "Please don't go," Perrie begged, desperation shining on her face. "You shouldn't have ignored me and maybe then I would have stayed," Jade replied stonily. "Only maybe?" Perrie asked, sounding hurt. "What do you mean by that?"

"I can't live with limited contact from you forever Perrie! I want to spend time with you, be with you, even just see you! I can't do this, with my feelings only growing stronger for you!" Jade shouted, and Perrie's eyes widened with shock. "Your feelings?" She asked quietly. Jade sighed. There was no use hiding now. "Yes, my feelings. I'm in love with you, Perrie Edwards, but you seem to feel the complete opposite," Jade said, pushing past Perrie and out the door. Jade didn't know where she was going, but anywhere was better than here. 

It was almost 5:30 when Jade's feet finally stopped in front of a thick brown door. Her foot throbbed, her legs were sore, but there was a determined frown frozen on her face. Jade knocked on the door once, twice, three times. Shuffling could be heard, and the door opened to reveal Jesy, her hair ruffled and her lipstick smudged. Leigh Anne appeared behind her, sporting the same disheveled appearance. 

"I don't even want to know," Jade said. "Just let me in."

Oops.