Chapter 18

You all are so into this book lol. Here's a new chapter for you lovelies :)

I'm sorry it's taken so long writer's block really is a bitch

Anyways, enjoy

Perrie strode into the nearest arts and crafts store, wiping her eyes furiously as she looked around. Her eyes lit up as they landed on a section of Barbie items, from streamers and balloons to collectibles wrapped in perfectly shaped square plastic boxes. 

"Perfect," Perrie muttered, striding into the aisle, grabbing a cart on the way. She walked out a few minutes later, her cart overflowing with Barbie items. 

"You sure have a lot there," the cashier remarked good-naturedly, smiling at the mountain of goods in Perrie's cart. 

"My daughter loves Barbie," Perrie replied, taking her wallet out. 

"That's so cute," the cashier smiled. "Birthday party?"

Perrie hesitated, looking over at her cart. "Something like that," she replied, handing the cashier her credit card and biting her lip to stop her eyes from tearing up. 

"Are you okay ma'am?" The cashier asked, Perrie quickly piling the goods back into her cart once they were all scanned and fixing the cashier with a smile. 

"I'm okay," Perrie said quietly, her voice breaking at the end. The cashier's eyes narrowed in concern as Perrie turned away and walked away from the counter as fast as she could. 

As Perrie left the store she saw Danielle and Jade rounding the corner, walking hand in hand. The sight made Perrie's stomach turn, and she quickly walked in the opposite direction of the couple, keeping her eyes on the ground. She didn't look up until she made it to the hospital. 

"Is Lily out yet?" Perrie demanded, walking up to the counter. 

"No, she's still in surgery," the lady replied, looking at her clipboard. 

"When will she be out?" Perrie pressed. 

The woman's eyes narrowed, and she raised her head to look at Perrie. "Look, I'm not a doctor, I don't know what goes on," she replied. "I only know what I'm told."

Perrie nodded, the fight leaving her body. "I get it, thank you," she mumbled, entering Lily's room, the big bag dragging behind her. 

"I didn't think you'd be back so soon."

Perrie jumped, letting out a little gasp of surprise. "Alex," she said finally, willing her heart to stop racing. "You scared me."

"I know I did," Alex chuckled, standing up and walking across the room so he was standing in front of Perrie. "What's in the bag?"

"The bag?" Perrie swallowed. "Oh, just some decorations to liven up Lily's room." 

Perrie's heart was still racing a million miles a hour. A jump scare from Alex was really not what she needed right now. 

"Do you need any help?" Alex asked. 

"No," Perrie replied quickly, almost wanting to slap herself at the way Alex's eyebrows rose. "I mean, maybe a little help with the higher hanging streamers and things. but I want you gone by the time Lily's out of surgery."

Alex nodded, his face expressionless. Once upon a time, Perrie could tell exactly how Alex felt, no matter his expression. Now, she was at a loss, but she assumed Alex was at least little hurt. 

Serves him right, she thought, setting the bag down on the bed and opening it. 

"Why don't you go grab some tape," Perrie suggested, Alex nodding and disappearing from the room.