Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I took a deep breath, and for the first time, I started to tell my story.

"Well, I'm 15 years old. I was born in England, but my mum died giving birth to me.

In a way, my dad never forgave me for 'killing my mum' and he still hates me.

I grew up in England, that's why I have the British accent, but I was being more like a servant than a daughter to my dad. I'm an only child as well, so all the responsibility fell on me to look after the house.

When I was 10, we moved here to America because my dad's work moved.

Nothing has changed between me and my dad since we were in England. I'm still nothing more than scum to him. I

came to this school, hoping that I would fit in better here, but evidently, I don't.

At my last school, I was bullied because of my lack of self-confidence, thanks to my dad, and being what they called a 'nerd' and a 'teacher's pet'.

No one thought to wonder why I was like that.

Learning is like my key to freedom. If I do well, I can leave my dad. Also, I can bury my head in my studies and try to ignore the rest of the world. It's my escape.

I don't have any friends, and I didn't in England either, I'm just too shy."

I picked at one of the sponges briefly and then continued.

"When I came here, the bullying only got worse. I should have guessed that it would, I stick put so badly win the accent and all...

Once, Alex broke my arm. I'm absolutely petrified of him, and he knows that.

But my biggest problem is myself. I have always blamed myself for my mum's death, because my dad said it's my fault.

Also, I'm scared that she won't be proud of me up in heaven. If I killed her and she hates me just as much as dad does, well, I don't know what I would do then. That's another reason why I work so hard, to impress her."

I sighed and looked up into his eyes.

I felt a tear trickle down my cheek, yet I felt almost relieved to have told someone.

As I looked at him, I saw a different boy to before. His eyes seemed to be full of respect for me as he reached out and took my hand, squeezing it encouragingly.

However there was something else in his eyes. Anger almost.

"I won't let them hurt you. Any of them," he mumbled, pulling me into a hug.

His arms made me feel so protected, that I wasn't afraid to cry.

So we sat there, me letting all my tears out while he cradled me in his arms.

And I felt truly safe for the first time in my life.